View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
pitboy
Dogsey Junior
Male 

30-11-2012, 04:13 AM

Is it ok to feed dogs cooked chicken bones?

was up dogsey i was thinking is it good to feed dogs humen food ?..........and is it ok to feed dog the chicken bones i leave for her when im done eatting it ?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-11-2012, 09:30 AM
Hello Sahn I would not feed cooked chicken bones to a dog .
Noushka05
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-11-2012, 09:31 AM
cooking makes bones brittle & splinter, but its fine to feed raw chicken bones
rough
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-11-2012, 01:10 PM
i only feed raw chicken wings .
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2012, 01:33 PM
No, because once cooked, most bones will/can/are likely to splinter and damage your dog's intestines, only big raw bones are advisable.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2012, 01:59 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
No, because once cooked, all bones will splinter and damage your dog's intestines, only big raw bones are advisable.
This isn't strictly true or my dogs would probably all be dead now. Mine have eaten cooked chicken bones (never given intentionally I should add) many times with no ill effects.

But quite rightly they should never fed on purpose.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2012, 02:12 PM
I can only go by what my vets have told me when one of my dogs got hold of some pork spare rib bones, ended up in dire emergency, having to be opened up on emergency surgery. ALL vets will tell you NEVER to feed cooked bones!

The vets are the ones who have to save them, so they know what they're talking about I would imagine.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2012, 02:18 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
I can only go by what my vets have told me when one of my dogs got hold of some pork spare rib bones, ended up in dire emergency, having to be opened up on emergency surgery. ALL vets will tell you NEVER to feed cooked bones!

The vets are the ones who have to save them, so they know what they're talking about I would imagine.
Did I say anything to the contrary?

You said that "once cooked, ALL bones will splinter and will damage your dogs intestines". This is simply not true. They CAN splinter and damage a dogs intestines but to say that they will all of the time is false. As I said, if this were indeed the case, my dogs would have very damaged intestines and would have had multiple surgeries by now.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2012, 02:29 PM
You were lucky! One day your luck will run out. I am replying to the o/p who asked and I quote "is it ok to feed dogs cooked chicken bones" and my reply is no, because, and because I believe that ALL cooked bones will splinter a dog's intestinal tract, that is what I believe, that is what my vets have told me, and it's erring on the side of caution.

On a forum, people can post what they want to post, if it is untrue, then it's up to the o/p to decide upon which advice he will go along with isn't it.

Perhaps you would like me to edit my post so that we don't have 10 pages of this???? Think I will then......
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2012, 02:45 PM
I can confirm that my dogs also have eaten cooked bones that they have scrounged from the garbage over the decades I have owned dogs and come to no harm.

However, as helena says, one day my luck could and probably would run out, so my advice to anyone asking if they can feed cooked bones to their dogs would be a definite No! Raw bones are much, much better for them in any case - natural dental floss!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >