Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kaska
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-11-2012, 12:19 PM

What made you choose your breed

Was it an impulse buy or did you spend time researching it? I have to admit to both with mine - I've had many different breeds! Sorry bit of a long post, hope you stay awake through it!

I've had dogs for about 32 years and was always drawn to large breeds and ones I liked the look of. The first few dogs I had I didn't research much, not a good idea, but I just loved their looks.

My first was a Tervueren, an extremely handsome dog, very bright and an excellent guard. I spent much time training him and could control him with hand signals, but it took a long time to get to that stage. In retrospect he wasn't suitable for a first dog, but I did persevere through a difficult stage and he turned out to be an unbelievably intelligent dog.
My second was a long haired Weimeraner, gorgeous looking with a long tail, but he was totally nuts! Very very hyper and rarely settled down.
I had a break from dog ownership for a while then saw a load of Jack Russell pups at a stable yard, and decided I really wanted one . So Sweep came to us 15 years ago and has been the most fab little dog, but he was never very happy on his own and we decided to get him a companion.
Along came Harry a Lancashire Heeler, another very bright dog but also very sensitive and if you just gave him the wrong kind of look he'd nearly die .
I then hankered after a bigger dog again, and the Australian Cattle dog caught my eye as an unspoiled rough/tough dog, and along came Kaska. She has been one of my most favourite companions ever, bags of character, very OCD and so loveable.
As we live on a farm and have quite a bit of land we later decided to give a home to a rescue and got Bryn, a big GSD, the soppiest most laid back dog I've ever known. He's suffered a lot of quite serious conditions and it's amazing he's still with us.
I was so taken with cattle dogs that I got decided I wanted a red as well as a blue and got Ruby. She's rather more sensitive than Kaska was but a brilliant walking companion, so long as we don't meet other dogs lol.
Then we agreed to have Fudge, a sandy coloured terrier whose owner (my daughter's ex) couldn't keep him any more. He is an entire male but very good natured and very entertaining.
When I lost Kaska I was heartbroken and a little later impulsively had a look around the Dogs Tryst (fatal!) and ended up giving a home to another rescue, an older Staffie cross who I've called Maggie. Maggie is by and large a good dog who likes her home comforts but she has been a bit destructive on occasion and has now destroyed nearly all the dog beds!
I never intended to have more than five dogs but a cattle dog breeder rang me to say she had pups due from parents I had admired and the mating wasn't to be repeated - so .......
I now have Woody!!!
Six dogs is DEFINITELY more than enough

And the conclusion to my very long dog story is that all of the dogs have their merits, but I have to say my very favourites have to be the cattle dogs due to their amusing, frustrating, challenging and rewarding natures
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-11-2012, 01:15 PM
I saw my first Mini Schnauzer when the terrier kennel in which I was working had one to stay overnight.The kennel manager was going to 'handle' it at Leeds the next day .

I had never seen such a gorgeous dog and couldn't take my eyes off him.
I told the manager I wanted a Mini one day and soon after that she presented me with one, Bunny
I have had Minis ever since...
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-11-2012, 01:26 PM
I've had numerous dogs over the years, but always gsd's apart from 2 spaniels which I also adore.

My current gsd sounds very much like your Harry, she's a very sensitive soul, and just like your Harry, if I gave her the wrong look, she'd go and sulk in her bed, and I daren't ever shout at her, she'd be like it for weeks!

I suppose we initially got gsd's because my mum and dad came home with a guard dog one day when I was only 10 years old, he was huuuuuge, and being a guard dog, he didn't like a lot of fuss, he would never stay in my bedroom, he'd sit by my closed door and growl at me to let him back downstairs, much to my disappointment However, at 10 years old, he used to come out with me and my friends just about everywhere before and after school, I never had a lead for him, he just stuck like glue to my side, I will never forget that boy.

So that's what started it, mum wouldn't have any more dogs coz of the hairs, so the first thing I did when I left home was to go out and buy myself a puppy cos I was working and earning, had a car, and this little puppy came with me on my nights out tucked inside my top OMG the things we do when we're young and irresponsible!! How I never lost her anywhere I will never know

We're now on about our 9th shepherd and she will be our last, we've usually always had 2 together and when one has got old and we've lost her mate, we always got another, but not this time. I lost my last one back in February, a bit, white fluffy gsd, and I'm afraid this one will have to carry on without a playmate, but she does have me and that's really all she needs being a gsd as you probably know only too well!

I couldn't imagine having 8 dogs in this weather though! Well done you!!!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-11-2012, 01:47 PM
I've had a variety of dogs over the years but met my first Dobermann when I was 10 back in 1964, I fell in love and wanted one immediately but that was tough. As a family we had a mixture of pedigrees and mongrels over the years but I never had any say in what we ended up with even though I generally was the one who exercised them. Anyway after owning a variety of breeds as an adult everything fell into place when I was 49 and I got my first Dobermann followed in fairly quick succession by 2 more Dobermanns. Pugs were never on my radar tbh until I looked after my youngest son's then girlfriend's Pug puppy from 8 weeks old every day for 6 months while she worked. Her mum was supposed to have her but checked in the towel after one day saying she couldn't cope, so she came here. That Pup charmed her way into our lives and we now have 2 of our own and my Husband who had always considered himself a big dog man is seriously smitten. We currently have 7 dogs of different sizes and temprements.
Niccie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-11-2012, 02:13 PM
I always thought I would have a husky or a GSD when I brought a dog into my family.

My mum had an Elkhound when I was born and although I only vaguely remember him, the pictures and stories were enough to make me want one. (Brilliant photo of me trying to run away from home in nothing but wellies, nappy and a scarf being gently dragged back by the scarf by the dog.)

My mum then rescued a succession of GSD, the last was the one who was really my dog. She came everywhere with me, I walked her, trained her, feed her. She slept in my bed, and she really was my best friend. If anyone tried to come near me on the street she made it very clear to stay away - which growing up where I did was a good thing!
I was gutted when I moved out I couldn't take her with me.

After we bought our first home, my OH and I went to Dog's Trust - and even though we had a field and plenty of room they wouldn't rehome anything but a small dog to us - as it would be our first.
I'm really not a fan of small dogs so we left disappointed.

Then my friend got in touch about Riley, a collie cross who needed a home desperately otherwise he'd be pts.

I think I have been woo'd by the collie intelligence and looks! I'd still quite like a GSD though!

My OH and I have decided once we re-home the last of the rescue ferrets we probably won't continue as it's been so heartbreaking. But we might continue to keep the ferret vet fund and with the extra time we probably could handle another dog.

I may look at a rescue GSD or BC then, but I worry with lack of experience they may say no
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-11-2012, 02:41 PM
The very first dog I remember was my parents Lab x Staffie. As any only child Flossie was my big sister, my best friend and constant companion. She died when I was 12 and I cried my heart out so my parents bought my a Lab puppy who stayed with with my parents when I married.

I then had two Golden Retrievers but had to rehome them when we went to live in South Africa where I bought a beautiful Pyrenean and soon after was given a Springer Spaniel. Unfortunately 2 years later my Pyrenean died after being bitten by a Green Mamba and my Spaniel was stolen .. I was devastated.

To console me a friend gave me a Border ColiexFox Terrier puppy which was soon followed by a very lovable GSD and a mutt that my younger son had saved ..... she was being fattened up and was destined to end up as a dog curry!

When I got divorced because I was living in a flat I didn't have any dogs for years until I retired and went to live in the countryside and bought two puppies a Shar-Pei and a Tibetan Spanielboth of whom I adore.
Roofs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-11-2012, 02:53 PM
Last year the lady that owned the stables where my horse was bred her JRxBT bitch to a Border Terrier. A litter of six were born and I fell in love with a little black and tan boy, until he was sold he’d follow me round like a shadow and use to love spending time snuggled up in my bodywarmer. After the puppy was sold I met the dad, a gorgeous border terrier called Mr Darcy.

I was smitten and six months later I bought my own little border terrier puppy. That was in March 2012 and he is the best thing ever! I split up with my long term boyfriend this summer and I credit the dog with keeping me sane.

My family aren’t huge dog lovers but even they’re smitten with him! Mum has referred to him as an honorary cat!
Roofs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-11-2012, 03:02 PM
ETA: Looking on the internet and at certain breed specific forums I was told that Border Terrier’s were not suitable for a first time owner and would be likely to end up in rescue as an aggressive out of control thing. I’m still waiting for this to happy
rough
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-11-2012, 03:13 PM
Originally Posted by Roofs View Post
ETA: Looking on the internet and at certain breed specific forums I was told that Border Terrier’s were not suitable for a first time owner and would be likely to end up in rescue as an aggressive out of control thing. I’m still waiting for this to happy
oh heck the only ones i've met have fab temperments

me . i've only ever had roughs i blame the "lassie films" when i was a kid
Azz
Administrator
Male 

29-11-2012, 03:33 PM
Great thread Kaska - it's been interesting reading how everyone ended up with their dogs

With me, I spent a whole year researching breeds. I wanted a fit agile breed and narrowed it down to Boxers, Staffs (or the leggier Irish Staffs) and American Bulldogs .... and then one day I saw a photo of a Presa and fell in love! Also, it just so happens that the breeder I was talking to bred ABs, Presa's and Irish Staffs! (Yes I know that's quite a lot - but I was quite naive back then ) so I thought she was the breeder for me as I could see all the breeds in person.

On visiting the breeder, she let out Ghero the father of the Presa litter and at first glance I felt intimidated as he was just so big, but when he came over and looked me straight in the eye all I could see was kindness and I fell in love

Here is a photo of him:

Presa's are not an easy breed, they are very strong and will happily reciprocate if another dog starts on them - but they have so many good points, they are a very loving breed to their family and are just gentle giants underneath it all. If it wasn't for insurance companies putting them on their exclusion list I probably would have gotten another by now.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >