Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
whiteleyanna
New Member!
Female 

15-06-2011, 10:26 AM

Mange???

Hi, i have a 18month old staffy x jack russel bitch who is beautiful. My nephew took her for a walk a month ago and when he brought her back she was orange. He told me she had been in the red beck ( dont ask me what it is but was not impressed!). I bathed her straight away. About a wk later i noticed she was biting a lot at her back. Just where the tail joins. A few days later she had a small red patch about the size of a pound coin. I de flead her to be sure and bought her new bedding. It had now spread and she is loosing hair and it is red and inflamed. I have got her in the vet tonight but wondered if any one had advice as to what it could be. Many thanks xxx
rossi roo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-06-2011, 11:12 AM
my old dog was always getting mange from our local foxs but he always had it around his face ears over his eyes etc but it can effect any part of the dogs body i started useing strong hold as that kills mange mites as well as fleas good luck at the vets i am sure its nothing too serious let us know how you get on petrina x
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2011, 11:17 AM
what did you use to 'de-flea' your dog?
whiteleyanna
New Member!
Female 

15-06-2011, 11:26 AM
i used a front line de flea product on her when she 1st started to bite at her back end, and as i said i bought her new bedding. I hoped it was down to fleas but its bigger now so have booked her in tonight to be seen. She is my 1st and only dog so have never dealt with any thing like this. The area is not dry its just very red and her fur is going thin x
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2011, 06:01 PM
I really hope that whatever your dog has is easily treatable - can't offer any advice I'm afraid as never experienced it but hopefully the vet sorted her out tonight.
whiteleyanna
New Member!
Female 

16-06-2011, 07:45 AM
hi everyone, thank you for your advice and kind words. Took missy to the vets last night and am happy to report it is not mange . The very nice vet explained to me that because it is only a small isolated patch it is very unlikley to be mange. Although he said he could not see any fleas he belives it is a mild flea problem and that her skin might just be sensitive to them, hence the redness and skin loss. He gave me stronghold flea treatment, noroclav antibiotic and some fuciderm gel cream to hopefully calm everything down in time. Had a shock though as missy was not very friendly with the other dogs which i dont understand as she is fine at home but still the main thing is she is sorted. Many thanks xxxxx
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2011, 08:43 AM
Awh glad you got sorted xx
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2011, 05:41 PM
So glad nothing very serious. She may have been a little unfriendly towards the other dogs because she was possibly nervous and in a confined space?
whiteleyanna
New Member!
Female 

17-06-2011, 07:38 AM
i was thinking ( and hoping) the same thing to explain her behaviour. She is a lovely dog. She is very giddy but that is the 1st time i have ever heard her growl. Ended up standing outside with her to calm her down, many tanks for kind words x
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2011, 08:06 AM
Just caught up with this thread. I'm glad that you have a nice vet and that everything is sorted with your girl.

Originally Posted by suecurrie View Post
She may have been a little unfriendly towards the other dogs because she was possibly nervous and in a confined space?
Agree entirely with Sue, some dogs love the vets and some dogs find it extremely stressful, which may explain her behaviour.