Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Freyja
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-08-2010, 10:43 AM

Clarification of classes?

I have entered the twins into a breed club open show. Some one suggested putting them in the maiden class but someone else said they are not elligible.

In the deffinition of classes it sae ys- Miaden for dogs not to have won a CC or 1st place at an open or championship show with the execption of he puppy classes.

Now both Simba and Amber have been awarded a first place but in the AV classes at open shows. Amber won AV bred by exhibitor and Simba has on 2 occasions won AV open dog.

The first person said these wins don't count as they are not in breed classes but they wouldn't be able to enter AV maiden at an open show. The second person said they do count as it is a first place in any class whether breed or AV.

I always thought the first person to be correct that is what I have always been told wins in AV classes do not count in breed classes only if you are competeing in the AV classes.

Can anyone clarify this as everyone I ask has a different answer?
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2010, 12:37 PM
I don't know anything about showing, but do a fair bit of 'interpreting' wording.

IMO the way it is worded would mean that your two are not entitled to be entered as Maidens. The reason I say this is that the definition does not say 'in breed class' it purely says a 1st in an open show. Strictly speaking if it had meant to exclude AV wins, it should have said so (as it did with the pup classes).

But of course there is a possibility that to show people it would be so obvious that they only meant breed classes rather than AV that they didn't need to specify this.

There is also the possibility that somewhere else in the rules sets out that wins in breed classes do not affect eligibilty for AV classes and vice versa.

...actually, I just went on the KC website and looked at the rules....here is what is says

"In estimating the number of awards won, all wins up to and including the seventh day before the date of closing of entries shall be counted when entering for any class.Wins in Variety Classes do not count for entry in Breed Classes.

so I think you are right
Freyja
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-08-2010, 12:43 PM
Thanks now why did I not to think to check on the kennel club site.
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

05-09-2010, 09:11 PM
Hi Freyja, your original belief is correct.

AV wins do not count when calculating elligibility for breed classes. However, when entering AV classes, wins in both breed and AV classes must be counted.

Dawn R.