Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Baileyboy
New Member!
Female 

10-10-2017, 06:58 PM

Puppy distressed if I'm not near

Hello,

New here and brought our 10 week old lab x collie home yesterday! He's a gorgeous boy and seems to have very quickly become very attached to me.

It's been 11 or so years since I last had a pup and could use a few thoughts. He's in a covered crate downstairs, but howled blue murder last night for about an hour, then quieted until 5am when it started again

Then this morning I put him in the kitchen and went to shower, same thing and he peed and pooped everywhere, despite having already been. I took him in the car to the vets today and he nearly blew my eardrums. Other than that he's a really lovely quiet boy. If I went upstairs today, if I was more than a couple of minutes he'd start.

I don't want a puppy who develops separation anxiety and I'm hoping I'm being overcautious, but my other puppies didn't do this. Is it normal? Do I just continue to ignore it? It's horrible!

Thanks
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2017, 07:49 PM
Welcome to Dogsey
New puppywe'll be wanting pics
Thing is,it's early days,or early day I should sayHe's only just arrived.Everything is new and strange to him.Needs time to settle in.If in time separation anxiety does become an issue,I'm sure members on here will have lots of advice.
Baileyboy
New Member!
Female 

10-10-2017, 08:17 PM
Ah thanks, it is such early days, just don't remember my other puppies being so worried about being glued to me. We have 3 weeks with him and then are back to work so conscious at that point he'll be left alone more... Think it's giving me proper anxiety today which is unlike me! Ha!

Will post a pic once I work out how to!
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-10-2017, 09:12 PM
How long is he going to be left for when you return to work?
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-10-2017, 09:59 PM
Originally Posted by Baileyboy View Post
Hello,

New here and brought our 10 week old lab x collie home yesterday! He's a gorgeous boy and seems to have very quickly become very attached to me.

It's been 11 or so years since I last had a pup and could use a few thoughts. He's in a covered crate downstairs, but howled blue murder last night for about an hour, then quieted until 5am when it started again

Then this morning I put him in the kitchen and went to shower, same thing and he peed and pooped everywhere, despite having already been. I took him in the car to the vets today and he nearly blew my eardrums. Other than that he's a really lovely quiet boy. If I went upstairs today, if I was more than a couple of minutes he'd start.

I don't want a puppy who develops separation anxiety and I'm hoping I'm being overcautious, but my other puppies didn't do this. Is it normal? Do I just continue to ignore it? It's horrible!

Thanks
Do you have a back yard?
We do and I just open the back door when I get up. Our dog gives it a gentle tap if I'm not awake. Or if we are in a hotel. An alarm call if you like.
Baileyboy
New Member!
Female 

11-10-2017, 01:46 AM
So it's 2.30am and I've had to get up fully. Was going to get up to let him out but he has barked non-stop all night. My husband needs to go to work tomorrow. I got up to mess EVERYWHERE again... Up the sides of the crate, through it, all over his bedding. He has no reason to need to toilet, especially that much, other than I think he's so distressed... Please help... I don't know what to do to calm him, feeling pretty tearful right now :'(