View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2011, 07:20 AM
My Mum would say that I was into dogs from the moment she gave birth to me, my first kiss (from a dog) was when I was around 3-6 months old. Started collecting stuffed toy dogs - of which I still have them all now waiting to be unpacked - one is called Tiffany and when we got our hamsters (first pets) I refused to let my little sister call hers Tiffany because thats what my dog was called

Started walking Sadie when I was 11 - until then I was always asking to stroke other people's dogs, then shortly after, Ellie, Kiera, Ty, Angel, Annie, Baby (pronounced in broad Yorkshire "Babbie") and Sooty (till she got out and never came back) I'd given most of these their first real basics, the owners had tried but not really succeeded, I also taught them all how to walk on a lead right (which annoys me 'cos Louie still won't 100%)

Then met my OH and really got into dog training, trying to get him to accept other dogs, he will now accept them in his territory and instead of flying off the handle, he is relatively calm around them (with me - the rest just allow him to do it! )

Then Louie came along and I joined Dogsey and now I am well and truly addicted to dogs!

Alf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-08-2011, 06:16 AM
Fifty plus years now
Used to help out at a rescue kennel when I was at school.
My mother always used to say that the next door neighbours GSD would protect me in my pram when she left me in the garden That may have been the start of my love of dogs
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-08-2011, 08:39 PM
For as long as I can remember. My brother and I pestered my Dad for a dog when I was about 3, he gave in and getting Bess is one of my earliest (if not the earliest) memory. She was my constant companion, my protection (even from older bulling siblings) and my best friend. I was never fearful of dogs, my Nanan had a GSD who was lovely, so great with us kids, neighbours had a range of dogs and it just spread. I love all animals and went through different phases, monkeys, wolves, reptiles, birds of prey, horses, parrots, but all along dogs have stuck with me, just like my Bess the Mess and Cookie Monster do!
XoloLover
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-06-2012, 08:54 PM
since I was born, my parent got their first dog as a couple, a black and tan doberman boy six months before my sister and I were born dogs have literally always been a part of my life and I wouldn't have it any other way
toobendy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-06-2012, 12:45 AM
my parents had dogs before i were born & from me being a small baby my mum would put me on the floor with the dogs & i would happily play on the floor with the dogs. my first word was dog. i can't imagine life without dogs, i were so lonely a week ago when my youngest dog was at the vets even though my older dog was laid next to me the whole time it wasn't the same with one dog missing so i don't want to even try to imagine having no dogs
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2013, 03:37 PM
I realise this is an old thread but I've only just noticed it.

I got in to dogs when I was about three. Before that I was terrified of them and one day I ran into the road in the path of car because I saw a dog coming along the pavement..apparently it was a long way away from me.

So my parents decided the only thing to do was to get a dog. It was in the early 70's and not much was know a both positive training and problem solving with dogs. They bought Hamish, a boxer crossed with a springer..for a family with children ages 3,5 and 7 and made the best shot of it that they could but he was very big and very boisterous and bit all of us a few times and then bit another child so was put down...but I was hooked on dogs from then on. My Bampi, mums dad, was also a dog nut but my Nain, mums mum, only ever let him have one, a failed gun dog who died after he went missing for a few days and picked up some illness. After that my Nain, who was a bit of a pessimist, wouldn't let him have another because she didn't want to be upset again. So when Hamish was put to sleep it hit him really hard. Happily though we got another dog when I was about 7 who my Bampi had a good few years of enjoyment knowing her before he died.

I've been a dog anorak ever since and have had lots of different types of dog, never the same type twice. I'm forty now but think I may well have a staffie and bull Lurcher again...but you never know.
Darcy Boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-10-2013, 03:58 PM
I was a late starter, it was cats first, then horses & finally dogs, about 21yrs.
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-10-2013, 04:06 PM
I can't remember, I've always loved dogs. There are always pictures of me as a little girl with various dogs we encountered on walks etc. and I was fascinated by them. It was my biggest wish to have dogs, but I wasn't allowed because my brother hated them and my mum was working full time. It was only when we moved to the countryside (and my brother stayed in the city with my dad) that I was finally getting my own dog. I was 14 I think and I got two of them. Since then my obsession with dogs has only grown, but when I moved to the UK to study I had to leave my dogs with my mum, which was heartbreaking but the best thing for everybody.
Only 6 months ago I was finally in a position again to have a dog, and Ella has been a delight and well worth the 7 year wait!
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-10-2013, 05:07 PM
Crikey, this IS an old thread. I've looked back to find that I gave my reply nearly 7 years ago.

Nice to update it though.

Dawn R.
Page 15 of 15 « First < 5 12 13 14 15