View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2007, 11:12 AM

An interesting read on dangers of feeding a raw meat diet.

http://www.secondchanceranch.org/tra...eat/myths.html

As you all know Kain has recently been very ill, he is still on antibiotics and will be for at least another 10 days...I went into feeding a raw diet to my dogs without really researching dangers, as most people who advocate a raw diet tells us that what the vets say about the dangers are myths, I have experienced the so called myth with Kain and I have never experienced having a dog be so ill for so long before, I just hope I have'nt caused him any long term damage as a result of raw feeding, it is my opinion that feeding a raw diet is a time bomb waiting to happen.
I don't want to offend any one who feeds a raw diet, so please don't take my opinion personally, I can have an opinion as I have now experienced how dangerous this way of feeding is. Please read this with an open mind
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2007, 11:34 AM
Originally Posted by inkliveeva View Post
http://www.secondchanceranch.org/tra...eat/myths.html

As you all know Kain has recently been very ill, he is still on antibiotics and will be for at least another 10 days...I went into feeding a raw diet to my dogs without really researching dangers, as most people who advocate a raw diet tells us that what the vets say about the dangers are myths, I have experienced the so called myth with Kain and I have never experienced having a dog be so ill for so long before, I just hope I have'nt caused him any long term damage as a result of raw feeding, it is my opinion that feeding a raw diet is a time bomb waiting to happen.
I don't want to offend any one who feeds a raw diet, so please don't take my opinion personally, I can have an opinion as I have now experienced how dangerous this way of feeding is. Please read this with an open mind
Has it been proved that the diet caused your dog to be ill ?
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2007, 11:41 AM
That was the answer I knew I was going to get, asking for proof, I am still waiting on cultures coming back, I will be sure to post the results when I get them as I said previously I have never experienced illness like this with any other dog I have owned, this was also the first time I have fed a raw diet, I feel in myself aswell as what the vet has told me that feeding raw has had an impact on the severity of the illness, now my vet has'nt entirely blamed the raw diet so I don't want you to think he has talked me round in any way.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2007, 11:51 AM
I think you're being very wise, and would always listen to your vet as you have. I will be very interested to hear the results of those cultures that were sent off, so please do post them up.

I am not against raw feeding, and I have said before, if I could I probably would feed raw, but it would always be at the back of my mind about the contamination. Freezing does not kill all bacteria, whereas cooking always does. I know this for a fact, because I have spent many hours at college doing a catering course which included hygiene and contamination from raw meat.I myself have had serious food poisoning from campylo bacta, and believe me, I thought I was dying for 5 whole days, and in fact, I could have! It's a gamble, but I also believe dogs do very well on it, I think you were very unlucky with Kain. Btw, I hope he's ok now?
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2007, 11:56 AM
My reasons for not feeding raw are more that I don't think you can fully provide for your dog and I know many people who feed 'raw' but cut corners and don't feed a balanced diet.
I've had experience of a puppy that was fed on raw (not one I've owned) who was fed on a complete when in her new home 3 days later she threw up undigested chicken bones and meat, so clearly it is not as easily digestible as is claimed.
I'm sticking to my complete.
Becky
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

21-03-2007, 11:56 AM
Very interesting read.I can understand your worry as I would feel the same if Ollie was really ill and the Vet suggested feeding him raw may be the cause of the problem.I happen to think it doesn't matter what we feed it can all be dangerous,commercial foods carry to much calcium for dogs to digest as all dogs digest and dispose of at different rates,it is impossible for any Manufacturer to get it right,the same goes for vitamins fats etc., so I suppose those of us that feed raw feel we are nearer to the right menu for our dogs than the commercial foods.
But we all have to do what we feel is right and I don't think any one type of food is right or wrong it is up to the individual.I feed raw because all of Ollie's breeders dogs are fed that way and have survived beyond the expected ages for their breed and are all healthy dogs.It will be interesting to see what the results say when you get them,in the meantime hoping Kain is feeling better soon and whatever way you decide to feed must be right for you and your dogs.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2007, 12:05 PM
Originally Posted by inkliveeva View Post
That was the answer I knew I was going to get, asking for proof, I am still waiting on cultures coming back, I will be sure to post the results when I get them as I said previously I have never experienced illness like this with any other dog I have owned, this was also the first time I have fed a raw diet, I feel in myself aswell as what the vet has told me that feeding raw has had an impact on the severity of the illness, now my vet has'nt entirely blamed the raw diet so I don't want you to think he has talked me round in any way.
I was just interested to know if the vet had done tests & that the revealed that youir dog's det had caused the illness

I feed my BC raw & have fed my bigger dogs a raw diet for over 30 years so I'm not a recent convert. I rescued a X breed that had lots of illnesses & had horrendus digestive problems. I, very slowly, transferred her over to a full raw organic diet & the health problems disappeared & she never had any digestive problems once she was on a full raw diet, she lived until she was 19 1/2 despite not being vaccinated whilst she was me & never saw a vet after she was on the fully raw diet until the day she died.

If you want to feed raw you have to source the food carefully, non organic meat can be full of drugs given to the animals before they are slaughtered despite what the producers tell the public. These self same drugs are also in the meat used to produce dry & wet manufactured foods unless they are organic
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2007, 12:45 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
I think you're being very wise, and would always listen to your vet as you have. I will be very interested to hear the results of those cultures that were sent off, so please do post them up.

I am not against raw feeding, and I have said before, if I could I probably would feed raw, but it would always be at the back of my mind about the contamination. Freezing does not kill all bacteria, whereas cooking always does. I know this for a fact, because I have spent many hours at college doing a catering course which included hygiene and contamination from raw meat.I myself have had serious food poisoning from campylo bacta, and believe me, I thought I was dying for 5 whole days, and in fact, I could have! It's a gamble, but I also believe dogs do very well on it, I think you were very unlucky with Kain. Btw, I hope he's ok now?

Lol me too, I have done advanced courses as I run pubs/nightclubs and hotels, so food is a big part on a hotel income, I have never been poisoned though thank god, I feel barf diets can work but have got down sides, you just dont know how the meat has been handled before you get it, most stuff ment for the dog market is very poorly handled,
Clair
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2007, 12:57 PM
the only thing raw i feed my dogs is miced chicken.
the reason i wont feed raw bones is because of the worry of splinters
thanx for this,i didnt realise there were any dangers in feeding raw,ill be sticking with my complete
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2007, 12:57 PM
Oh lord its so hard to know what to do for the best. I worry so much about whats in Ivan's food. I would love to feed just raw but when I have tried him on chicken wings they just run right through him. They best I can do is give him some raw steak mince mixed in with his Royal Canin
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 > Last »