Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2010, 08:37 PM

Care after castration

Both my boys were castrated on the 23rd June. Their post op check with the vet was on 28th June. All was fine.

However this week Archie has become lethargic, which I put down to the heat and the after effects.

The vet advised me no strenuous exercise for 10 days, so we have done pavement block walks only.

Yesterday and today he has become even more lethargic. When he does get up he seems to be in pain, rear end, and right leg, and at times holds the leg off the floor.

Any suggestions please ?
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2010, 08:40 PM
Hello, nice to see you, I think for me it would be the Vets to be checked. It does sound as if something is causing him pain could be an infection or he could just be hamming it up being male and all that but better to be safe and get it checked !
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2010, 08:45 PM
Thanks Dani, he is pretty miserable, but I know what you mean. Harvey is back to his old self, but Archie definately appears to have discomfort sitting and standing, so has spent his days curled up in his bed. Not what I would expect for a 4 year old dog Will be at the vets Monday for sure x

P.s nice to hear from you too
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-07-2010, 11:24 PM
Hi Trixy it is nearly two weeks since the operation and I would expect Archie to be fine by now.

Does everything look ok, no obvious signs of swelling/weeping/redness. Is he eating and peeing/pooing ok . I wonder if he has stitches which are pulling as the skin has healed over.

I would certainly have a vet check on Monday if he is no better and before that if you think there are any signs of infection. Until then I would try to make sure he doesn't jump up on anything or climb stairs, just short walks and let him sleep if he wants to .

I do hope Archie is back to his normal self soon.
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2010, 07:23 AM
Thanks Mini....

All looks clean and healing very well. He is eating and drinking ok too.

This morning he is so stiff, mainly on one back leg, and looking pretty miserable in himself.

Will keep you posted.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-07-2010, 07:27 AM
Sorry to hear that Archie is poorly, it doesn't sound as if it is related to the op to me.

Please give him a big ((hug)) from me to help him feel better until you can get him to the vets...and one for Harvey too so he doesn't feel left out. xxx
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2010, 07:30 PM
Took Archie to see the vet this morning - new guy at the practice and very impressed as he was so thorough.

Its Archie's right hip that has been causing the problems, so he prescribed anti-inflam meds, for a week.

He said after a week or if I am still very concerned to go the route of x-rays. Although if muscular it will not show up on x rays.

Limited exercise and try to avoid him jumping up/down..

Hoping it is nothing serious, wish my boy well please as he is so unlike Archie at the moment.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2010, 07:34 PM
Awwww, sorry to hear about poor little Archie Tracy, sending lots of positive healing vibes for him to be back to his normal bouncing self soon, and some ((((((((hugs))))))))) for you, it can't be easy watching him like this At least the vet has put him out of pain now, so hopefully, he'll perk up a bit for you now, poor little guy.xxxxxxx
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2010, 08:09 AM
Thought I would update you on the boys since their castration - the long and short of it is... I wish I had stuck to my gut feelings and kept them entire

Although Harvey seems to back to his normal self, Archie is not. We have finished the anti-inflam course and his hip seems a little easier but not entirely cured.

It is more noticable in the morning (the longer he has been less active) dare I say almost signs of arthritis ?

The thing is I cant believe this has occured as the result of castration, nor can I believe its coincidental.

He is a totally different dog, the bounce has gone, and at 4 years old he appears to have less energy than my old boy Simba had at the age of 11.

I am so worried about him, so will be making another appointment to see my vet.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-07-2010, 08:38 AM
Originally Posted by Trixybird View Post
Thought I would update you on the boys since their castration - the long and short of it is... I wish I had stuck to my gut feelings and kept them entire

Although Harvey seems to back to his normal self, Archie is not. We have finished the anti-inflam course and his hip seems a little easier but not entirely cured.

It is more noticable in the morning (the longer he has been less active) dare I say almost signs of arthritis ?

The thing is I cant believe this has occured as the result of castration, nor can I believe its coincidental.

He is a totally different dog, the bounce has gone, and at 4 years old he appears to have less energy than my old boy Simba had at the age of 11.

I am so worried about him, so will be making another appointment to see my vet.
Hi Tracy, sorry to hear things are not going so well.

I am not surprised 'the bounce has gone' if Achie has a degree of pain or stiffness. I have a knee problem and the constant pain in spite of pain killers doesn't encourage bouncing

I am wondering if he damaged himself in some way when walking/laying awkwardly immediately after the operation in which case things may improve with time.

As I said earlier I would not let him jump up/no stairs and short frequent walks preferably on soft ground when possible.
When Archie is laying down I would very gently massage the area you think is painful without lifting it in any way.

Out of interest can I ask why you had the boys neutered if you were not really happy about doing so?
I hope things improve soon xx
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >