View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2008, 09:20 PM
I'm going to be a complete anorak now and contest the question I got wrong. The Masai tribe traditional greeting!

Among the most accomplished and fabled tribes of Africa, no tribe was considered to have warriors more fearsome or more intelligent than the mighty Masai. It is perhaps surprising, then, to learn the traditional greeting that passed between Masai warriors:"Kasserian Ingera," one would always say to another. It means, "And how are the children?"
It is still the traditional greeting among the Masai, acknowledging the high value that the Masai always place on their children's well-being. Even warriors with no children of their own would always give the traditional answer, "All the children are well." Meaning, of course, that peace and safety prevail, that the priorities of protecting the young, the powerless, are in place. That Masai society has not forgotten its reason for being, its proper functions and responsibilities. "All the children are well" means that life is good. It means that the daily struggles for existence do not preclude proper caring for their young.

Don't you just hate people like me? LOL
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2008, 09:25 PM
Originally Posted by Lionhound View Post
Enjoyed that, thanks Becky

Well done Wooflehoond
Thank you

Originally Posted by Losos View Post
Thanks for organising this Becks - At least I got No. 5 right (I would have been highly embarrassed to have got that wrong!) All the rest were guesses

P.S.
Well done wufflehound - all that 'customer service' is paying off then !!
Cheers mate, queen of google me! Mind you I did know some of them
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

29-06-2008, 09:32 PM
Thanks Becks I enjoyed it too, even though |I was not very good.

Enjoy your G and T. You certainly worked for it.
hayleybella
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2008, 10:02 PM
Well done everyone! it was good fun although I enjoyed the picture question from friday.. but I have learn't something new tonight Thanks Think I did ok!
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2008, 07:28 AM
Originally Posted by wufflehoond View Post
I'm going to be a complete anorak now and contest the question I got wrong. The Masai tribe traditional greeting!

Among the most accomplished and fabled tribes of Africa, no tribe was considered to have warriors more fearsome or more intelligent than the mighty Masai. It is perhaps surprising, then, to learn the traditional greeting that passed between Masai warriors:"Kasserian Ingera," one would always say to another. It means, "And how are the children?"
It is still the traditional greeting among the Masai, acknowledging the high value that the Masai always place on their children's well-being. Even warriors with no children of their own would always give the traditional answer, "All the children are well." Meaning, of course, that peace and safety prevail, that the priorities of protecting the young, the powerless, are in place. That Masai society has not forgotten its reason for being, its proper functions and responsibilities. "All the children are well" means that life is good. It means that the daily struggles for existence do not preclude proper caring for their young.

Don't you just hate people like me? LOL
God I'd hate to se what you'd be like if you'd lost!

Ok, about the spitting....

Among the Masai tribesmen of East Central Africa, spitting is considered an act of respect and friendship.
A newborn Masai child is spit upon by friends and relatives wishing to give the child good luck.
Masai tribesmen spit at each other when they meet, just as we say "Hello," and spit again to say "Good-bye."
When two Masai make a trade in business, they spit at each other to seal the bargain.
And their mothers don't tell them not to!

and...

The Maasai tribe in Africa spit upon one another as a greeting and farewell. This was satirized in the movie Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls.
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2008, 08:39 AM
Tee Hee, only kidding mate. Does that mean we're both right though?
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

30-06-2008, 11:33 AM
The last time I was in Africa some bloke chucked a spear at me mind you I don't think he was a Masia warrior (He was wearing a suit and tie ) and it latter transpired he was aiming at what he thought was a rabid dog in his garden
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2008, 11:54 AM
The last time I was in Africa some bloke chucked a spear at me mind you I don't think he was a Masia warrior (He was wearing a suit and tie ) and it latter transpired he was aiming at what he thought was a rabid dog in his garden
Well, that's not a very nice greeting at all
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

30-06-2008, 08:00 PM
Originally Posted by wufflehoond View Post
Well, that's not a very nice greeting at all
That's word for word exactly what I told him, we had a laugh about it but i must admit for a few seconds I thought I was a gonner
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2008, 08:16 PM
That's word for word exactly what I told him, we had a laugh about it but i must admit for a few seconds I thought I was a gonner
How very scary
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2