Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sparx
Dogsey Junior
Male 

24-12-2011, 12:28 AM

Feeding my boy

so ive just been reading the thread started by X-clo-X about what you all feed your dog and its got me thinking that i perhaps should be feeding digga a bit more than just dry buscuits ...i didnt want to hijack the thread by asking questions in there so i thought i would start one ......anyway i feed him turkey and rice flavour wainwrights puppy food for large breeds (i have a 5 month old DDB) 3 times a day about 200G each feed and to be honest although he does eat it its only because thats all he gets because i wont feed him "scraps" or anything like that because i dont want him a scrounger but he does always seem hungry ...im thinking about getting him some extra meat like chicken wings .. bones and things like that ...would he be ok to eat this sort of thing i was thinking about cutting one of his dry feeds about and replacing with chicken/meat/bones would this be a good idea or not? how would you guys/girls do it and what would you feed? ...i think you know what im trying to say but im not very good at putting words down on "paper" lol
anyway thanks for reading
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2011, 01:47 AM
Feeding raw is always a good idea in my opinion, but then I'm a raw feeder so I would say that!

I think starting out with the odd chicken wing/breast of lamb would be an excellent idea.

With chicken wings I would advise caution though as many dogs that are fed dry don't know how to deal with raw bones. A lot of the injuries involving bones comes from the dog gulping and swallowing the bone, rather than properly crushing/gnawing on it. If your dog is a gulper it's always better to hold the end of a small bone, like a chicken wing, to teach the dog not to bolt it's food.

Also, some dogs fed dry find raw meat and bones quite rich. My parents recently started to feed their Lab pup raw bones and all it did was give him the squits. In my opinion this was due to trying to switch from Pedigree Chum tinned (very bland with little nutritional value) to a variety of raw meat and bones (which is very nutritious and can be quite rich depending upon the meat). If you do find your dog gets the runs it's probably advisable to try one meat source for a week before adding another. Chicken is always a good starting point, then after a week perhaps try Lamb etc.
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2011, 04:42 AM
Alot of us have very spoiled dogs At least, alot of people think I spoil mine.

I feed the way I do because Dogs are scavengers, and I believe that feeding the same thing day after day is not conducive to good digestive health for my dogs. I dont want to go all the way raw, so I feed different kinds of kibble, dehydrated and canned foods with raw meat, veggies, fruit, sardines, canned salmon and whatever else I think they'll like. Makes feeding interesting and fun for the dogs, besides, I get to have the fun of finding and buying different kinds of foods for my dogs.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2011, 08:42 AM
I have given my dogs raw chicken wings for years because it keeps their teeth clean. They have that for breakfast, and raw meat at night. They used to have quality kibble at night but didn`t really enjoy it and I was having to add `tasty` stuff to get them to eat it so we switched to raw and they wolf it all down now.
wallaroo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-12-2011, 10:20 AM
Toby gets F4D salmon mousse mixed in with his kibble as a treat, or sometimes mashed potato, grated carrot, tinned tomatoes. I still sometimes soak his food and give him it slightly warm just as something a bit different
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-12-2011, 05:26 PM
Originally Posted by Sparx View Post
so ive just been reading the thread started by X-clo-X about what you all feed your dog and its got me thinking that i perhaps should be feeding digga a bit more than just dry buscuits ...i didnt want to hijack the thread by asking questions in there so i thought i would start one ......anyway i feed him turkey and rice flavour wainwrights puppy food for large breeds (i have a 5 month old DDB) 3 times a day about 200G each feed and to be honest although he does eat it its only because thats all he gets because i wont feed him "scraps" or anything like that because i dont want him a scrounger but he does always seem hungry ...im thinking about getting him some extra meat like chicken wings .. bones and things like that ...would he be ok to eat this sort of thing i was thinking about cutting one of his dry feeds about and replacing with chicken/meat/bones would this be a good idea or not? how would you guys/girls do it and what would you feed? ...i think you know what im trying to say but im not very good at putting words down on "paper" lol
anyway thanks for reading
hi

feeding one raw meal and one of his dry food is fine for instance you could feed chicken wings for one meal, or rib bones, or with him being a bigger dog you could get away with giving him chicken carcass (i cant because my dogs are toy breeds )

other raw things you could feed him could be one tripe meal.. try the prize choice blocks from pets at home to start with

if you wanted him to carry on with his dry meal too this is fine, they can be fed part dry, part raw. some dogs do tend to go off their kibble when they realise other meals are tastier but you can easily add extras to his kibble, things like a raw egg, or a tin of sardines
Sparx
Dogsey Junior
Male 

24-12-2011, 10:53 PM
thanks for all the replies... i went out and bought him some chicken wings and some bones (marrow and rib) today he LOVED them lol but i think after giving him a wing ill have to hold it like ripsnorter said because he did seem to eat it a bit quick lol i think im going to feed dry and raw because when i looked into feeding raw it said you have to feed ofal and when i looked on the market the hearts and things like that looked GROSS lol they had blood clots and all sorts hanging out of them and i dont think i could handle that it would make me sick so like i said im going to feed dry food with a bit of raw food so he get the proper nutrition ..... i gave him one of the marrow bones and hes not left it alone ive just looked at it and i cant beleive how much of the actual bone he has gnawed away ...its a right big one too looks like a bit of a leg or something lol ...anyway thanks again and merry christmas to you all