Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Murv
Dogsey Junior
Male 

13-06-2011, 06:24 PM

I think I may be a convert...

Went to a local dog show thing yesterday where there was a BARF stand.
They sell "convenience" packs of blended meat, bones, veg etc so we bought 4 packs on special offer to see how we go.
Long story short, the dog loves it!
All this time I've been worrying about which is the best kibble and the real answers been staring me in the face.

Anyway, turns out this company is in Sittingbourne where I live even better.

It seems to be a very expensive way of feeding, but I'll use them for a Months worth to take the hassle out of it until I've read up some more and am confident in feeding a balanced diet before "going alone" with it.

It's just lovely to see her eagerly devour a bowl of food instead of reluctantly picking at it, which is how it should be, surely?
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2011, 06:43 PM
Aww thats great
Yup I guess that is a good way to get started and you will see all the benifits in a month

Only thing is as its all mixed up if something dosent agree you wont know what it is - but tbh I didnt actually introduce things slowly cos I got a bit excited
DvnBiker
Dogsey Junior

13-06-2011, 08:49 PM
so what was the name of the company?
Murv
Dogsey Junior
Male 

14-06-2011, 07:19 AM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Aww thats great
Yup I guess that is a good way to get started and you will see all the benifits in a month

Only thing is as its all mixed up if something dosent agree you wont know what it is - but tbh I didnt actually introduce things slowly cos I got a bit excited
Having studied the website a bit more thoroughly now, it seems there's only one actual complete meal, the rest are just minced vacuum packs of raw meat.
It works out expensive though (from other threads I've read on here re cost and as our dog is just over 40Kg, the convenience side may not be much benefit either!

Originally Posted by DVNBIKER View Post
so what was the name of the company?
The company is called barfpetfoods, I'd be grateful if anyone gets chance to have a quick look and give an opinion on it? seems a lot of the meals don't include bone, I thought there had to be 20% bone in each meal?
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2011, 07:21 AM
oooh...where/when was that Mruv? I am looking for someone local!
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2011, 07:28 AM
Hmmmm....just had a ganders, and they are quite expensive.
Murv
Dogsey Junior
Male 

14-06-2011, 07:38 AM
Originally Posted by Kerriebaby View Post
Hmmmm....just had a ganders, and they are quite expensive.
You can collect directly and save the £9.99 courier charge (if you take a coolbox) but it's still going to work out a lot for my 42Kg dog I think.
I might still go with them though, just to get me started
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2011, 07:41 AM
Do you drive?
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2011, 07:46 AM
Originally Posted by Murv View Post
seems a lot of the meals don't include bone, I thought there had to be 20% bone in each meal?
I imagine this is so you can feed the bone portion in the form of raw meaty bones? Their taster back also includes 5 marrow bones.
With raw feeding, you don't have to worry about every single meal being 100% balanced. Just think about us - we don't eat the exact same amount of protein, carbs, oils, etc. we need in every breakfast, every lunch or every dinner. We may have a more carb-heavy meal for lunch, more protein at dinner, one day we may have a lot of our RDA, one day we may have less, it all balanced out over the course of time. As long as you're giving the dog an overall balance over the week/month, it's not a big deal if they have a few bone-free meals. What I do with mine is order a month's worth from The Dog Food Company (Scott may deliver to your area btw so worth checking out), which I work out on a spreadsheet to a) ensure I don't order more than fits in my freezer but not too little to not last until his next delivery, and b) get the right balance of food for a month. Then I grab whatever I fancy feeding the dogs every day, and I know that once I reach the bottom of the freezer, I'll have achieved the 80:10:10 ratio of prey model feeding because that's what I've ordered. They may not have got that ratio on Monday, or Tuesday, or Wednesday, or even week 1 or week 2, but over the month they're getting all the elements they need in their diet.
Murv
Dogsey Junior
Male 

14-06-2011, 07:52 AM
Originally Posted by Kerriebaby View Post
Do you drive?
I do, yes.

Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
I imagine this is so you can feed the bone portion in the form of raw meaty bones? Their taster back also includes 5 marrow bones.
With raw feeding, you don't have to worry about every single meal being 100% balanced. Just think about us - we don't eat the exact same amount of protein, carbs, oils, etc. we need in every breakfast, every lunch or every dinner. We may have a more carb-heavy meal for lunch, more protein at dinner, one day we may have a lot of our RDA, one day we may have less, it all balanced out over the course of time. As long as you're giving the dog an overall balance over the week/month, it's not a big deal if they have a few bone-free meals. What I do with mine is order a month's worth from The Dog Food Company (Scott may deliver to your area btw so worth checking out), which I work out on a spreadsheet to a) ensure I don't order more than fits in my freezer but not too little to not last until his next delivery, and b) get the right balance of food for a month. Then I grab whatever I fancy feeding the dogs every day, and I know that once I reach the bottom of the freezer, I'll have achieved the 80:10:10 ratio of prey model feeding because that's what I've ordered. They may not have got that ratio on Monday, or Tuesday, or Wednesday, or even week 1 or week 2, but over the month they're getting all the elements they need in their diet.
Thanks for that, it's immensely helpful and makes perfect sense!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >