Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2004, 10:36 AM

Limping

How long would you leave a limp before seeing the vet ?
Only asking as Libby had a very slight limp yesterday morning- couldnt see any cuts, grazes or anything in the pad.
Late last night and this morning shes limping badly- she lets me touch it all over with no problems- still cant see anything in the pads so wondering whether shes strained it when running around like a lunatic.
Would you take her straight away or see how it goes ?
Traci
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2004, 11:09 AM
Hi lel
I left Harleys for 2 days to see if it got better but it got worse and had to take him to the vets. But it happened before and he stopped limping but not so lucky this time.

Traci
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

12-09-2004, 11:17 AM
As its Sunday, I'd wait till tomoro.. Rocky was limping for a few days once but I saw him bang himself and checked to make sure he hand't broke anything. I made she he had no walks or play (just the garden by himself) and it took about a week to get better.
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2004, 11:21 AM
i worry too much
i start thinking what if shes fractured it etc but im sure she woulndt let me touch it if that was the case - would she ?
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

12-09-2004, 11:34 AM
Rockys actually went worse the next day too and stayed that way for a few days then started to get better, but if he played hard he limped harder again, I figured it was a muscle injury - so made sure he didn't overdo it and he got better.
Yes I am a worrier too!
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2004, 12:04 PM
Kingsley tripped and hurt his cruciate(sp) ligament a few months back. I didnt know that at the time. It happened on the Sunday morning, and he didn't put any weight on it at all, so I took him to the vets on Monday evening.

He had to have total rest for 10 days, and was on some sort of anti-inflamatry drugs.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2004, 10:34 PM
How's her limp now Lel?

Karen
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-09-2004, 11:27 PM
Hi Lel Amy had a limp in her front paw a couple of weeks ago on the bank holiday weekend so vet only seeing emergency cases. Amy could not weight bare though no visible sign of injury just a little swelling at the base of a nail. I soaked the paw in a hot saline solution which seemed to ease the pain. Went to the vet on the following day and found as I thought an infection at the base of the nail. Had antibiotics and seems to have cleared things up but watching it as this can be a symptom not the cause of the problem.

Edited to say- examine the paw look carefully between the toes in the soft flesh, (that's where grass seeds get in and cause a problem) make sure it does not look red or have any swelling. Next examine each toe and nail and press gently,any pain ?Look for any swelling around the nail. All ok? Now run your hands over the leg from top to bottom and press gently looking for bites/swelling can you bend the joins without pain? Try to keep your dog as immobile as possibe...not easy I know, I would not leave it fo more than a couple of days just in case, best to be on the safe side. Hope all is well soon
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2004, 07:23 AM
Lel hope she get's better soon
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-09-2004, 07:40 AM
Lel I think its probably just a sprain, Saffy has done it twice and both times it gets better with a little rest.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >