Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Harry25
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-06-2006, 01:20 PM

Microsoft Windows

I keep getting a message on my PC saying that my copy of Microsoft Windows is not genuine. I installed the XP Home Edition about 2 years ago and have never had any problems with it, so why would I get this message now? Has anyone else had the message? It's also installed itself as a icon on my desktop
Hoggett
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-06-2006, 01:24 PM
Hi, I think you may just have a pop-up there, I wouldn't go to any site or click on it apart from the official Microsoft site, you can get there by opening up your internet connection then go to Start>All Programs>windows update, they have a software tool which automatically tells you if your copy of Windows is genuine, of course if it isn't you have got problems!

Hope this helps

Ian
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2006, 01:32 PM
Take a look at this thread, it explains all about the Windows update/verification tool http://www.dogweb.co.uk/showthread.php?t=36355
Harry25
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-06-2006, 03:21 PM
Apparently it is genuine. Microsoft are trying to get people to buy the newer version, so this thing installs itself if your Windows software is older than 3 years. I've managed to turn the pop-up off, but still have the icon on my desk top. IT bloke via PC World told me to contact Microsoft because this should only happen if your software is a pirate copy but because I paid £275 from PC World, I shouldn't be getting this message.
ceiron
Almost a Veteran
Male 

03-06-2006, 03:29 PM
stupid double psot.lol
ceiron
Almost a Veteran
Male 

03-06-2006, 03:30 PM
microsoft have done a thing where a few key codes ahve been blocked as genuine coz they were being used alot to pirate copys, so alsong as you have the oprig install discs or a hologram etc ... then contact microsoft and they wil lvalidate it for you.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-06-2006, 03:55 PM
Originally Posted by Harry25
Microsoft are trying to get people to buy the newer version.
What new version?

The only one that i know of is the 64 bit windows but that is only for some pentium 4 and AMD 64 Processors mostly used by pro's and not the home user (the os not the processors).

The replacement for XP is going to be Vista (code mame longhorn) but that is due to be on general released in 07 (even tho you can get the trial version now)

So i can not see where they are coming from on this one cause as you know all the updates are free for all Windows Operating systems.