Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-10-2004, 03:51 PM

Not so good news for SBTs

THIS turned up on BBC1 Scotland last night.

It is a great pity that this has happened, because it looks like yet another fine breed is going to be demonized After the report, they spoke to a lady who runs a breed club for SBTs; she referred to SBTs as "the Nanny breed", because they are usually so good with kids. I'd always thought that, too, but I fear that the ignorant in society are not going to believe it and will start clamouring about dangerous breeds again.

SBTs are not all that high on my favourites list**, but I've always seen them as pleasant, fun dogs (at the risk of being seen as stereotyping) - a pity this one seems to have "let the side down"

Snorri
(** my favourites list consists mostly of Border Collies)
bobbie3917
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2004, 04:04 PM
hi Snorri the Priest

it is a sad story
and i am sorry for the little girl
but it is very unlikely to be an SBT that attacked her. the dog was 18" and black and tan. it is more likely be an isbt or a pit bull type dog.
i hope the dog gets found
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2004, 07:33 PM
and we only have one side of the story- I know there are BAD dogs but how do we know she wasnt teasing the dog beforehand-
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2004, 08:51 AM
Natalie please dont assume that because the dog was slightly taller than what the KC standard dictates that it is an Irish Stafford or Pitbull. Do you think they are more likely to attack than a SBT? Of course not, this statement is pretty damaging to all types I belive. An Irish Stafford IS a SBT just bred from different lines and can be traced right back to gentleman jim and the original KC stock just that they were never interested in KC registration or rosettes and kept the breed true to form. They are no different in temprament than the show type Staffords if a little firier but we all know one of the virtues of pit dogs is that they are more human friendly than most breeds.

Staffords come in all shapes and sizes - I have a friend who breeds KC Staffords for 20 years she breeds to the original standard and most her dogs are between 17" and 20" in height. Look at the holmes or cosmos websites and you will see that there are plenty of Staffords outwith the standard.

Every day I see Staffords in my area (not pitbulls nor Irish bred Staffords - which are still fairly uncommon here) that are larger than the norm and I think this goes for most areas.

Anyway what type the dog actually was is irrelevant, it was a bull breed and as we know they all get tarred with the same brush. This comes down to responsible ownership, I hope she is found and is given a harsh sentence and also that the dog is destroyed too.

So far tho I am pleased to say there has not been the usual media frenzy and they have focused on the usual good points of the breed rather than the usual bull breed "devil dog" crap they spout out.

Laura
bobbie3917
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2004, 12:10 PM
Laura what i was trying to say it they should say what type they thought it is was not that it was an SBT.
they should of said bull and terrier type.
i know that isbt and sbt are 1 in the same(well not all lines but some)
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2004, 12:17 PM
Most reports in the papers up here have just said Bull Terrier although granted some have mentioned the name SBT, however I am led believe the dog was actually identified by several different people as a Stafford. I think the dog was brindle too, I mentioned earlier had it been black and tan it would be very easy to identify as we know the colouring isnt so common in the breed, I think if it were an EBT they would have mentioned the long egg face as its quite distinct. Whatever teh case i hope they find the dog soon before it does it again and gives our beautiful dogs even worse of a reputation!

Apologies if I took your statement the wrong way however it came accross like you were insinuating that a pitbull or an "Irish" Stafford would more likely attack a person than a Stafford.

Laura