View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2005, 09:41 PM

Phone fear (how to overcome dog barking and running away when phone rings?)

Hi!

Took Brandie out for her walk yesterday and unfortunately some fireworks went off and she got scared So we came home, but just after we'd got in the phone rang. Brandie was still nervous from the fireworks so the phone made her have a little panic.
Now today whenever the phone rang she jumped up and ran out the room barking
Is there anything I can do to change this? I don't want her to be afraid of the phone, but I don't want to accidently reward her behaviour so any advice would be appreciated

Thanks
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2005, 11:02 PM
set up some phone calls. ring yourself with your mobile phone or something.

Before you do that play Brandy's favourite game not too close to the phone, but so she can hear it.

Make sure she is having fun..... shovel in the treats if you need to, while the phone is ringing.

This is what I would do.... there might be a better way?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-10-2005, 11:07 PM
Hi Brandysnap I think to begin with it may be best to try ignoring the behavior to see if it is a passing thing...do not show any sign that you are startled or speak to or look at Brandy when the phone rings and see how it goes If the behaviour continues you will probably need to try some form of desensitising .

Added sorry posted at the same time as Tuti this is step one Tuti's is step two...try this as Tuti suggests making sure you show no sign that you can hear the phone, it is not there you can't hear it
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-10-2005, 12:52 AM
I agree with Mini & Tuti

First see if this persists. It may have been a one-off caused by temporary stress.

If it seems to be on-going then desensitize as suggested. If you have a volume control for the ring tone turn it right down, or muffle the sound with towels. Over a period of time (may take a few days) gradually turn up the volume or remove the towels one at a time.
BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2005, 03:08 PM
Thanks

Today she seems a bit better she got up and gave a bit of a growl but didn't run out the room or bark.
So hopefully ignoring her will help and it won't last.
If not I will try your advice Tuti thanks.