Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Loopylouc
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-09-2010, 10:00 PM

Pooping when no one is looking

We've had Sam for a week and a half now, and the first few days he went outside to poop everytime.

The last couple of days he seems to be waiting until no one is looking, like when I'm washing the pots or something, then goes into the back room to poop.

Obviously I don't see it until afterwards. So how do I train him to go outside, I can't tell him off after the fact because he wouldn't understand. I'm not sure where to start.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2010, 07:45 AM
Clean the area he`s used and keep that door closed?
With a new dog I`d go back to basics and keep a close eye until he learns the rules of the house. Go outside with him and praise him when he uses the place you want him to.
He may well have been shut in for long periods before and got used to hiding poo.
Loopylouc
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-09-2010, 08:27 AM
I've just sprayed the entire floor in the back room with Vanish to try and get rid of what ever smell is drawing him into that room.

We do try and keep the door shut, but unfortunately the fridge is in there, and kids being kids just rush in and grab something then rush back out. It should be better now they're back at school and I can keep the door shut.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2010, 09:51 AM
The smell attracting him is the scent from where he went before. Dogs will return to a spot.
You need to clean with anti-bacterial or disinfectant IME.
Pookin
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-09-2010, 10:06 AM
A solution of biological washing powder is pretty good too, it has to be biological though as Non-bio doesn't have the enzymes.
Loopylouc
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-09-2010, 11:23 AM
Thanks, I'll try the washing powder, the back room is carpet, so disinfectant might be a bit of a pain