Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2009, 12:31 PM

Problem With Shadys Back Leg

Bit worried about Shadys left hind leg. When she has been laying down resting she gets up and is very lame on it. Once she is moving about a bit it wears off and she is back to normal.
Shady is a Rottie x GSD weighing just over 40kg, she doesn't have an ounce of fat on her and is quite lean just pure size and muscle making her weigh this.
She had her hips x-rayed when she was about 10 months old as I wanted to make sure they were ok for peace of mind before she started doing anything strenuous at a year old and the orthopedic vet who x-rayed them said they were perfect and no problems at all.
Could this change as she has got older? she is 4 at the end of the month so not old in age sense or could it be some sort of arthiritis setting in early.
She is not good to examine as she always tenses up so they can't stretch her legs back properly and it gives the vet false ideas. I remember the orthopedic vet saying if we went by that and hadn't seen the x-rays we would have said she had bad hip problems, which is what another vet had told me before that.
Its obviously hurting her till she gets going as she hobbles then stands then head down looking up at me.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2009, 12:37 PM
Sounds like just what I had recently with Zena and her front leg, i.e. she was only lame on it, sometimes VERY lame on it upon getting up from rest, but after a minute or two she'd be bouncing around again. Hers turned out to be a pulled muscle, probably in her left shoulder, so I hope Shady's is the same. I think you have to worry more when it comes on exercise, it would worry me a lot more than after rest anyways. If it's really bad maybe the vet will prescribe a painkiller and make sure you keep him well rested for a week to let the muscle heal if that's what it is, otherwise it won't heal very quickly. Good luck, hope that's what it is anyway.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2009, 12:43 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Sounds like just what I had recently with Zena and her front leg, i.e. she was only lame on it, sometimes VERY lame on it upon getting up from rest, but after a minute or two she'd be bouncing around again. Hers turned out to be a pulled muscle, probably in her left shoulder, so I hope Shady's is the same. I think you have to worry more when it comes on exercise, it would worry me a lot more than after rest anyways. If it's really bad maybe the vet will prescribe a painkiller and make sure you keep him well rested for a week to let the muscle heal if that's what it is, otherwise it won't heal very quickly. Good luck, hope that's what it is anyway.
Thanks H,
Hopefully thats all it is although goodness knows how she managed it as until yesterday afternoon she had only had short lead walks for a week. I noticed it first Saturday.
By yesterday afternoon she had seemed fine but she had been moving around all day so we went over to the field I hire and she had a good run. She was fine on it after that but this morning when she got up it was stiff. Had a lead walk it was fine. Has just woken up after the walk and lame again for a couple of mins till she got it moving.
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2009, 12:47 PM
Poor Shady Hope she's feeling better soon x
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2009, 12:50 PM
You just never know how they do these stupid things Bev, it could well be that she put that foot down a rabbit hole, even slightly, enough to put something out and it's painful, and of course, after lying down and resting it, you know yourself, you have to go through the pain to get it all moving again and then you're fine. I'm sure that's what she's done! I'm surprised my current loonatic hasn't managed to pull all her muscles the way she careers around at the moment, but thankfully, she's all healed up now, although having said that, she was playing with Georgie in the kitchen yesterday, I hear this loud yelp, I rush in there and she's sitting there holding up her RIGHT leg this time Luckily for me, I managed to rub it for a few minutes and then she was totally back to normal afterwards, and still is now thank God! Just make sure he rests up now, and if I were you, I'd stick to gentle lead walks for at least a week. I just did 10 days of it to get hers right.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2009, 12:55 PM
I think I have got some Rimadyl in the cupboard that she had for something once before. If it doesn't seem any better this evening I will start her on them tonight.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2009, 12:58 PM
I don't think you could go far wrong by doing that, because they are an actual anti-inflammatory which of course will calm the muscles down if any are inflamed and that's the only reason I would let her prescribe a drug to my very young puppy, I knew they would help the situation. My breeder says she always keeps Rimadyl in the cupboard for situations just like this, probably because she's used to breeding such manic, loony puppies, but have to love them! Good luck with Shady, I'm sure that's what she's done!

p.s. Just to add, NEVER give Rimadyl if your dog has recently had a steroid pill or jab within 24 hours, it will make them VERY ill if not worse - that's a fact!
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2009, 01:06 PM
p.s. Just to add, NEVER give Rimadyl if your dog has recently had a steroid pill or jab within 24 hours, it will make them VERY ill if not worse - that's a fact!
I didn't know that so thanks for telling me. Shady hasn't had any steroid jabs or pills ever so she will be fine. Its Milo who had a steroid jab on Saturday.
I think I should just move into that vets. I could save a fortune on petrol.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2009, 01:25 PM
I've just given her some Rimadyl as when I went to the kitchen she felt the need to get up and come out and was hobbling on 3 legs.
I have enough for a couple of days but will ring the vet and get them to leave me some out to collect during the week.
Its hard to get her to rest though as she is such a nuerotic dog and the slightest sound she has to leap up and jump at the door or window, or tear round the garden barking.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2009, 01:34 PM
I hope poor Shady is feeling better soon.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >