View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-08-2013, 06:11 PM
Tapeworm segments do not really look like grains of rice in real life...........they are little rectangles and flat, and most certainly do not move about. (Unlike the full tapeworm that I once had the misfortune to wind around a glass tube).

I would still administer some sort of wormer though, and if there are fleas then these obviously need to be dealt with as well for all sorts of reasons, but tapeworms can be picked up from other things as well as fleas.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-08-2013, 07:00 PM
Could it have been tiny toxicara worms. Has she eaten any cat poo recently?
Laurabehjet
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-08-2013, 07:06 PM
Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post
Could it have been tiny toxicara worms. Has she eaten any cat poo recently?
I sincerely hope not!
I don't think so, she only has access to a small fenced off paved area of the garden and that is kept pretty clean.
I never see cats in our garden, except for a black and white one sat on the shed at the back of the garden months and months ago.
Penelope was terrified of it lol.

I never let her out of my sight on walks either so no scavenging.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-08-2013, 07:32 PM
I wouldn't worry too much - just worm her with a good wormer from the vet. Normally, worm segments are on the surface of the poo, so to find several suspect objects underneath could possibly indicate something like maggots as someone else suggested. Still, better to be safe.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-08-2013, 07:54 PM
If she is pooing on a hard surface and no other animals poo there I think it is unlikely that it would be worms from another animal.

How long had the poo been there before you picked it up? Because maggots was what occurred to me. Flies are very fast to lay eggs on poo.

If it were tapeworm I'd have thought it more likely you'd have seen some IN the poo and on it, not just 'under' it.
Laurabehjet
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-08-2013, 06:32 AM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
If she is pooing on a hard surface and no other animals poo there I think it is unlikely that it would be worms from another animal.

How long had the poo been there before you picked it up? Because maggots was what occurred to me. Flies are very fast to lay eggs on poo.

If it were tapeworm I'd have thought it more likely you'd have seen some IN the poo and on it, not just 'under' it.
It had been there since the day before, I'd been really busy that day and forgot about it
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2013, 07:29 AM
Originally Posted by Laurabehjet View Post
It had been there since the day before, I'd been really busy that day and forgot about it
Probably maggots then. My dogs poo doesn't always get picked up the moment they do it..... I just seem to have so many things to do!
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2013, 08:03 AM
I agree with the maggot theory, the new born ones are tiny shaped like rice but very small, I had some on some poo in the garden in the hot weather that hadn't been out there that long, the flies are rampant in the heat, and admit to worrying till I looked it up, if it were worms they would be in the poo not just on it x
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2