View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2009, 02:37 PM
Awwwwwwwwwww Lynne,huge hugs from me,Shona was filling me in earlier when I called her.God you must be demented and poor wee Benster too,when you do go see him can you give him a wee soft hug from me too.I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for him big time,I can understand why you dont wanna go see him but you will in your own good time when your ready and able to cope with it all.Reckon I'd be the same as you as I'm a big softie too and don't like to see my pups suffering either.
Loadsa healing vibes winging there way to Ben from me and my lot,xxxxxxxxx
Gellygoo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2009, 03:22 PM
Hi Lynne, glad you sound more optimistic now .
I too decided not to visit Gelert, partly because she was so far away (3 hour round trip) but mostly because she would expect me to take her home when I left and I thought that she would be more upset because of this. I know that the vet nurses and the vets were wonderful with her, spending a lot of time with her. They told me this when I rang for my daily updates, but I knew they were telling the truth when I saw how she reacted to them when I took her back for a check up 2 weeks aftre she came home....she was pleased to see them again.
I'm sorry but I can't really tell you when she got any feeling back, they didn,t mention this and I never thought to ask ! She was deffo tottering around after 1 week. You are right that Ben will be really swollen around the op area for a good while yet.
You will probably find that your referral place is great like Chester Gates was for us. They really spoil them, and will keep you fully informed as to what is going on. We could ring any time and as many times as we wanted.

Thanks for your good wishes Mini and H
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2009, 03:56 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about Ben. Hope you get some good news soon - must be so awful for you all. Lots of hugs from us. x
RRmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

05-05-2009, 04:45 PM
Oh Lynne - just popping on for daily update.
Things are sounding more positive. Good to get positive stories from Gill and from Steph. The vet surgeon sounds really lovely.
It must be so hard for you not going to visit, but I think you are being very unselfish in taking that path and that ultimately it will be better for Ben - as he would just expect to come home with you after your visit.
Stay strong hun.
Special Ridgie get well vibes coming up over the Border xxx
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2009, 05:17 PM
Hoping for a very positive outcome for Ben, everything crossed here for you both.
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2009, 05:26 PM
Just checking in to see how the wee man is and how you are Lynne. Still sending all the healing vibes your and Ben's way. Big wags and licks from Cassie too. xxxxx
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2009, 05:53 PM
Again thanks everyone. Just before tea I phoned to ask if he had managed to eat anything and I actually got put through to this Mark Lowrie, the surgeon, he sounded very nice on the phone and really took time with me. He loves Ben and the one positive he said was that Ben is far more alert than he could have hoped he would be at this stage BUT he still has no sensation, I asked about the painkillers having an effect on the result and he said that they havn't given him painkillers that work on the nervous system at all?? They have given him sedation and an anti inflammatory so that they can test his sense of pain etc.

He also said that his biggest concern was his inability to pee, he is using a cathetar(sp) (I didnt think to ask vet if that would not stop him from urinating anyway, he last urinated at 7ish on Sat night and since that time to the time of fitting the cathetar he had nothing to drink)

He said he is such a lovely wee dog (so of course I started to cry) with amazing character (loads of blubbering!!) he says his real real concern would be that if at 7 days there was no sensation as that is the real end limit for any recovery, however they then keep him a further 7 days just in case a miracle happens. But he hasn't seen it happen.

He did say if it got to this there were options depending on our commitment and Bens ability to adapt and the worst case scenario was, in his words "well I don't have to tell you, we all know what the worst case scenario is"(more tears!) and the 2nd worse case scenario would be looking at mobility carts for him which with Bens temprament he said he would be happy to do BUT the real issue is the bladder due to the fact you cant have a catheter in all the time so there is an option to treat with drugs and to teach the owner to express urine but thats where owner commitment comes in as it has to be done religously to prevent a build up of toxins and the dog has to allow you to do it and thats something he cant tell until he tries it.

The main issue seems to be this bladder but I mean he can still poo and he peed at 6pm Sat so surely....oh I know noone but Father time can tell me the answers.

Thats just an update for you all and thanks so much for caring. xxx
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2009, 05:59 PM
I just want to send you a hug....the waiting must be driving you insane. Huge hugs xxxxxxxxxxxxx
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2009, 06:16 PM
Awww...Lynne hun thanks for the update. It's still so early after the op, I'm sure it will take some time. I know I can't tell you not to worry because you will but we're all here going through every emotion with you. xxxxx Keep thinking positive as we all will. xxxxx
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-05-2009, 06:20 PM
I'm still holding out for a good result, Lynne. Hope is a wonderful thing, and I'm full of it.

Big hugs, chicken x0x
Page 19 of 50 « First < 9 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 29 > Last »