Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2010, 01:35 PM

Martingale Collar or Halter?

After having rope burns and blisters on my hands after the weekends trip to the game fair, I am thinking of switching Cooper to either a martingale collar or halter when walking in crowded places.
He was very excited and was pulling a bit and trying to jump up, he was wearing a harness, and then I clipped the lead on the harness and his collar after about an hour when he hadn't calmed down as much as I hoped.
He does occasionally slip his collar which is why I am thinking of a martingale collar, but he was pulling and I don't want to strangle him, which is why i am thinking of a halter?
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2010, 01:49 PM
We had a similar problem with Ela she would pull and slip her collar when on lead in busy areas or roads. This wasnt safe and hurt my hands and shoulders so we got a Halti harness. She hasnt managed to slip it and allows me more control over her without chocking her at all. She hated the halti headcollar we tried (borrowed from Kiska) but took to the harness fine.

Thanks to some further clicker trainning though she rarely wares it now. I would still put it on her if we were going anywhere busy though to be safe.
bugzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-09-2010, 01:51 PM
have a look at the k9 bridle. It is similar to a halti although the difference between the 2 is that on a halti if the dog pulls then the halti will pull the dogs head to one side.

Where as on a k9 bridle it is controlled at the back of the neck so the dog's head is not pulled to one side.
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2010, 01:54 PM
I make my own stuff using beta, so what ever he gets will be made by me

My own halter design lead from under the chin and at the back of the head
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2010, 01:56 PM
I would prob go for a halter rather then a martingale collar then.
lisa01uk87
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2010, 01:58 PM
i havent used a martaingale collar, only halters and half checks i like the halters but its the case of finding the right one for you, there are so many out there,
halti
gentle leader
gencons (which come in an all in one or just the head collar) canny collar (which i like very much and would recommend to anyone)
dogmatic

the only one on here i havent tried is the dogmatic. but i know of a few people who have used it

as i said its just the case of finding out whats out there for you, but remember that these are just training tools, i only use the canny collar when going to a dog show but ty is improving greatly and i think by the time the next dog show is i will only be using his half check (will have the canny collar in my bag incase i need it though)

good luck with whatever you decide to try