View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2009, 10:02 PM
Aww poor you, but we all have off days and it sounds like there was a few things going on that might have not helped her mood
You know your dog and sometimes you just have to ignore your trainer
In the classes I take Mia the trainers know that if she is having a bad day I might not do anything much in the class at all, just sit at the side and reward her for being calm, or mibby do some fun tricks with her - and leave before it all gets too much
Then if things are going OK we might join in the class a wee bit

Also just cos she can heel perfectly somewhere else dosent mean its the same in the class - some dogs really dont generlaise locations v well - take it back several steps and teach it again from scratch in the class (she will pick it up easier) but make sure in class you ask for far far less than you ask for elsewhere - and if she dosent cope then ask for even less
Training should be fun, if you feel your dog is getting stressed then tell the trainer you are going to do something different
If they are telling you to do something you think is wrong for your dog dont do it
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2009, 10:57 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
Reading this Helena, I feel kind of angry on your behalf, because it was clear the very first time you wrote about this very stupid trainer telling Zena off severerly for not wanting to leave you (I mean, she's shepherd anyway, for goodness sake, you can't rush it and the trainer should have known that!) then Zena was not going to be comfortable with her presence.

It makes me mad that trainers make what are such basic mistakes. I really wish she could be told just what she's done. Sounds as if she does it frequently and feels no remorse whereas frankly she should be mortified.

Wys
x
I agree with Wys and was going to post something similar (but less polite ).

If it were me I wouldn't worry at all about her not performing at training (apart from the trainer causing it) because if Zena is good with you, e.g. when walking down Whatsumacallit Hill then that's what it's all about isn't it? Her behaviour with you?
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2009, 12:44 AM
Awwwwwwww

As others have said, you have good days and bad. I would go back next week, and if she is the same, then maybe have a quiet word (if that's possible ) with that trainer, maybe she will take it a bit slower with her if you explain how she's been. Perhaps she could try and gain Zena's confidence again?

The vase may have spooked her, I know it only takes a little thing like that to put them off for the rest of the day. Not to mention being jumped on by other dogs and all in the same week too! Poor baby! she probs feels a bit stressed that's all.

Someone mentioned Zena could be coming into season? good point she's a big girlie so she could be starting her season round about now. That would make her nervy and clingy.

You go next week and have a word with that trainer and perhaps she can take some time just with you and Zena on your own to get her trust back. If you still feel that this trainer is the trigger then I would find another class hun.

Elaine xxxxxx

ETA. Just because Zena looks big she is still a baby and I would tell the trainer this also. xxx
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2009, 05:54 AM
She could be feeling hormonal,So try not to read too much into it,
Next week, sit somewhere different, dont let her go under the chair, if shes unsettled by any dogs dont let her wind up so you have to nag her, lay her down facing away from them -but not under the chair- & keep her attention by feeding & praising randomly throughout the night. Dont let the trainer take her off you again.
Can you get there early or is there a class going on b4 you? do you know how to do food circuits /throwing titbits positvley to gain confidence? you could throw them in the hall/training area im sure that could work.

Dont dwell on it , or make a big deal, try to change the variables & go back next week with a positive attitude!!!!
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

27-05-2009, 06:39 AM
Sorry to read you had a bad training session.

I agree with Wys on this one, Ollie would be freaked out by someone taking him off and certainly would of been when a pup Bernese are velcro dogs too and like to be near their Family and hate it if anyone else steps in.

I would of had to of said something to her about some breeds of dogs not liking the way they are being handled by someone they are not familiar with.

I am sure next week she will be fine, give it another go she is such a good girl. Maybe just politely mention to this trainer she did not like being taken away and you feel it has set her back a bit. You know her better than anyone.
Penry
Dogsey Senior
Male 

27-05-2009, 06:41 AM
Babe, your Zena has been fantastic throughout, surely she is entitled to have an off day . . . !!!
She'll be fine hun, you need to believe in yourself and her.

xxxxxxxxxx
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2009, 07:10 AM
I would be annoyed with the trainer. Shepherds love their people and hate to be apart from them. You would think that the trainer would know that. Rio would have totally freaked if someone took her off me like that. Give it one more go, but if she's not happy, I would go elsewhere. We have given up one of our ringcraft classes because Rio hates it there, even though she is fine at the other one.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2009, 08:23 AM
By coincidence I found this piece by Rooney et al., just out: it's in a study on working dog behaviour.

I won't quite directly, but basically they confirm that dogs can become scared of new places, procedures and people easily and form negative associations. Speed of progress should be dictated by the dog so it never becomes anxuius or scared, and if the dog becomes anxious the trainer should ignore this behaviour and wait for the dog to relax before rewarding, then take a few stages back and begin to build up again (they are discussing any new situation). Training sessions should always end with positive achievement and reward

Wys
x
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2009, 08:39 AM
You get bad days - we all do. I`d have a break for a week or two, and just have a bit of fun with your dog. It sounds like the training got a bit stressfull, and dogs don`t learn when stressed.
I`d be a bit wary of trainers telling me not to show my dog affection BTW.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2009, 08:42 AM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
By coincidence I found this piece by Rooney et al., just out: it's in a study on working dog behaviour.

I won't quite directly, but basically they confirm that dogs can become scared of new places, procedures and people easily and form negative associations. Speed of progress should be dictated by the dog so it never becomes anxuius or scared, and if the dog becomes anxious the trainer should ignore this behaviour and wait for the dog to relax before rewarding, then take a few stages back and begin to build up again (they are discussing any new situation). Training sessions should always end with positive achievement and reward

Wys
x
Sounds like excellent advice to me.
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »