View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mackleback
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2006, 10:02 AM

Boosters?? (are annual booster vaccinations necessary?)

Hi everyone. Could i pick your brains about something please?
I got a letter from our vets this morning saying that Tyson needs to have his annual revaccination by the 7th May. I've heard a lot of different opinions on boosters and was wondering what everyone here thought about it. I have also heard of some horror stories where peoples dogs have died shortly after being given their boosters.
I certainly dont want to put Tyson at any risk. So, i'm pretty confused as to what to do.
Any advise will be greatly appreciated.
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2006, 10:04 AM
I think thats a small minority, we've always boostered our dogs. To prevent the nastys of the outside vermin (rats etc) Had no problems.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2006, 10:08 AM
hi there was a massive thread on this a couple of weeks ago...sorry can't remember what it was called, Christine gave a lot of information on it...maybe someone else remembers the name of the thread???????
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-04-2006, 10:16 AM
Finn is due his booster next week too. He will get this one and then not again for another 3 years. He will only get the lepto vaccine inbetween.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2006, 10:21 AM
thanks Inca...brains not what it used to be!!!!! And it wasn't great in the first place!!!!!
mackleback
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2006, 10:26 AM
Thanks. I am half way through the other thread and i'm still none the wiser. Will keep reading though.
mackleback
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2006, 10:47 AM
Right....read through that huge thread. I have looked up the manufacturers site and printed off some info from there. It says...

Booster vaccination

It is recommended that dogs be revaccinated with canine distemper virus, canine adenovirus and canine parvovirus every 3 years and against canine parainfluenza virus every year.

It was not possible to produce clinical signs of kennel cough by parainfluenza challenge in adult dogs and duration of immunity could not therefore be demonstrated, but an anamnestic response was seen in dogs given a booster one year after primary vaccination.

Revaccination against parainfluenza is recommended prior to exposure to high risk environments (such as kennelling, showing or mixing with dogs of unknown vaccination history).

So...does that mean he wont need the booster? (my brain is on a go slow today ) Can i just get a canine parainfluenza virus jab instead??
Flipper
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-04-2006, 10:48 AM
In US the vets there over the last few years are leaning more towards giving the boosters every 3 years, they start with the puppy shots, then a year later get a booster and then every 3 years. I dont know about Lepto though, it wasnt something that was a problem in California, never saw a case of it in all the time I was there but they did have it on the east coast.
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

26-04-2006, 12:06 PM
Originally Posted by mackleback
Right....read through that huge thread. I have looked up the manufacturers site and printed off some info from there. It says...

Booster vaccination

It is recommended that dogs be revaccinated with canine distemper virus, canine adenovirus and canine parvovirus every 3 years and against canine parainfluenza virus every year.

It was not possible to produce clinical signs of kennel cough by parainfluenza challenge in adult dogs and duration of immunity could not therefore be demonstrated, but an anamnestic response was seen in dogs given a booster one year after primary vaccination.

Revaccination against parainfluenza is recommended prior to exposure to high risk environments (such as kennelling, showing or mixing with dogs of unknown vaccination history).

So...does that mean he wont need the booster? (my brain is on a go slow today ) Can i just get a canine parainfluenza virus jab instead??
Hi M/B, I take it its Intervets vax, called Nobivac?

Like it says, it gives protection against Parvo, Distemper & Adno for at least 3years. They are the 3 major dog diseases.

The other 2, parainfluenza & Lepto it only gives protection against for a year so they only need doing yearly if your dog is at risk for them.

Either way tell your vet he doesn`t need to do parvo, adno or distemper for another few years & you only want the other 2, if you decide they need doing

just to say, Nobivac do a parainfluenza only vax, a kennel cough only vax & also a Lepto only vax, all without anything else added
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >