Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
julesmolly
New Member!
Female 

21-07-2011, 03:48 PM

First walk, after her first season?

Hello, I have a gorgeous little working cocker spaniel, who is having her first season, at 10 months old. She started bleeding around 10 days ago, and is still bleeding now. How long would you say its best to wait, until its safe to walk her with other dogs again? She also looks really swollen at the back, but otherwise happy.
Thanks, Jules
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2011, 03:56 PM
Seasons typically last 3 weeks, but I would say be cautious for 4 weeks. Bitches are most 'ripe' in the middle part of their season. As your bitch is on a day 10, she is about to start her most attractive (to males ) and fertile period.

I personally wouldn't walk a bitch with other dogs until at least 4 weeks has lapsed since the first day she started.
tyr
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-07-2011, 04:00 PM
Bitches can be in season (ready and willing) for 3 weeks after they first start to bleed. While she is bleeding and her vulva is swollen, she is 'interesting' to entire males (and some others...).

What colour and consistency is the blood now? At the start of the season, it is thick and red, lateron towards the most 'dangerous' time of the season, it becomes thinner and lighter coloured.

Personally, I'd wait for a week or so after she's stopped bleeding to let down the guard and go for walks with entire males.

By the way, commiserations - my two bitches have just come into season (at least they're synchronised...), so we're having lots of lonely late night walks!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2011, 04:00 PM
Same as Labradork up there 4 weeks with me too. When you see her so very swollen, that is the very worst time for unwanted attention so don't even think about it yet if she's getting like that now. Although 3 weeks is the norm, 4 is much better, and when you think the bleeding has stopped, it usually starts again.
julesmolly
New Member!
Female 

21-07-2011, 04:12 PM
Thats great, thank you all for such a fast responce. There is still quite a bid of blood at the moment, and still very red, as my son found out, when he was fussing her! With 3 children and a husband offshore, late night walks are not really an option at the moment, so lots of play and exercise in the garden. Thankfully my 7 years old male lab, is showing no interest in her at all, but then he was neutered at 7 months. Thanks again for the advice, will watch where and when we go out in a couple of weeks time. Although my lab is protective of her anyway.
Jules x
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2011, 04:20 PM
Originally Posted by julesmolly View Post
Thats great, thank you all for such a fast responce. There is still quite a bid of blood at the moment, and still very red, as my son found out, when he was fussing her! With 3 children and a husband offshore, late night walks are not really an option at the moment, so lots of play and exercise in the garden. Thankfully my 7 years old male lab, is showing no interest in her at all, but then he was neutered at 7 months. Thanks again for the advice, will watch where and when we go out in a couple of weeks time. Although my lab is protective of her anyway.
Jules x
Your Lab might try and get a bit fruity with her in the next week or so. My neutered male is never interested in the first week or so, but when week two comes, he gets a bit interested. Bitches in the prime of their season still smell very appealing, even to neutered boys!
julesmolly
New Member!
Female 

21-07-2011, 05:42 PM
Oh my lord! Not looking forward to seeing that, he is 2 the size if not more. Ok, well if he does start to take an interest, then I will split them up of an evening. I'll tell him, she has a headache!
Thanks again, Jules
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2011, 01:19 PM
Originally Posted by julesmolly View Post
Oh my lord! Not looking forward to seeing that, he is 2 the size if not more. Ok, well if he does start to take an interest, then I will split them up of an evening. I'll tell him, she has a headache!
Thanks again, Jules
Your main problem will come when she wants to entice him & keeps offering herself. Thats when it becomes a real problem. Its OK while she is saying no but while some bitches are more eager than others most are very pushy for their most fertile 3 days. Good luck.