Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jojoscorpio
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-10-2008, 08:29 AM

vet prescriptions

I got back from the vets yesterday after getting zaks meds and 2 prescription, in side was a note saying that as fdrom the 1st of november the vet will be charging me £12,35 per prescription! I aready spend in excess of £200.00 per month for his meds as it is, and he has to have a human drug called keppra which is one of the scripts and this cannot be purchased from the vet so a script is a nessessity, now I will have to pay out £24.70 on top! I am fuming! what do others think of the cost of scripts?
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2008, 09:03 AM
Sadly, vets are now allowed to charge for prescriptions.

Not much we can do about it. When and if my vet charges me, I shall be letting my unrest be known in no uncertain terms
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2008, 09:11 AM
Think the law has changed to allow the vet to charge for writing prescriptions as from November. This is OK if it is proportionate, however if you have already paid for the consultation for the prescriptions to be written I think £12 plus is a liberty. If the script in is for 6 months supply then that is OK but for a months supply it is a joke and should IMO be challenged.

I accept that the vet must be paid for their time but if you have no option but to have a prescription or you decide to buy elsewhere then the allowed charge should reflect the actual time involved and in most cases this only involves that the form is signed and stamped.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2008, 10:19 AM
I do think thats a bit steep if its not something they will provide for you.

*Edited*

May be worth getting in touch with BVA or similar organisation as that seems far too much money. I am under the impression that the practise of charging will only continue if it is done fairly....
artemis
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-10-2008, 03:28 PM
Hi there!
What a liberty! Try vet medic online for lots of wormers, medication etc. Also surf the net you can buy almost all meds. Some are available from the States, they have different drug laws to us. All will be cheaper. Good luck!
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2008, 03:36 PM
I think it is acceptable to challenge a vet on their charges. I got a prescription a few months ago for advocate so I could buy it online as it was nearly 50% cheaper than buying it direct from my vet.

When I went in to pick up the script the receptionist told me the vet said when I need more advocate I can buy it from them for the same price I paid online.

It's definately worth talking to your vet about it and trying to get a better deal. I don't believe all their prices are set in stone (ours aren't anyway).

HTH x
jojoscorpio
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-10-2008, 04:42 PM
thanks i will, the only trouble is, for what i need i still have to have a script. i already buy his metacam)meloxydl) by script off petmeds which is £16.75, (script needed) yet at the vets its £40.00! so i cant win.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2008, 06:15 PM
If vets are going to be silly about this in the end it will be the pets that suffer, in the present monetary climate people are going to decide that the children come first and if there is not enough left for the pets then it will be the pets that suffer.
jojoscorpio
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-10-2008, 07:21 PM
well i will certainly try, thanks for that xx
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-10-2008, 07:57 PM
My vets are charging £7.50 per script.
Can I ask is your dog epilieptc or diabetic as I know Keppra is very expensive over £200 a bottle.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >