Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

14-02-2011, 10:32 AM

Pet prescriptions

Does anyone know if you can cash pet prescriptions at Boots please ?
Nadia is sending out a prescription for a human grade drug for Ollie but it will be on a vet prescription. It would be quicker if Boots did cash them rather than on line.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2011, 10:58 AM
I'm 99% sure I've heard of a couple of people doing this

http://www.rpharms.com/law-and-ethic...-medicines.asp
This guide suggests that pharmacies can provide human medicine as long as it states it's for use "under the cascade", whatever that means, so it may depend on what your vet has written on the prescription. I would speak to Nadia and ask if she knows the protocols/can fill it out so it can be used at a pharmacy.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-02-2011, 11:06 AM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
Does anyone know if you can cash pet prescriptions at Boots please ?
Nadia is sending out a prescription for a human grade drug for Ollie but it will be on a vet prescription. It would be quicker if Boots did cash them rather than on line.
Why not phone them and ask Lynn, save you a journey if they dont.

What about your own vet, will they have the medication in, some vets have human meds in so its worth a try, Bandit is on Human grade pain relief, and we get it from the vet.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

14-02-2011, 11:18 AM
Thank you both. I am going to ring Boots in a bit.

I fear from the vet it may cost as much as it does from the vet school £104 for 10 days treatment. The reason why Nadia is sending out the prescription she did mention boots and chemist direct where they cost £1-27 a tablet (chemist direct). Plus he has to have his prednisilone too although slighlty lower once he starts the sporanox.

We cannot claim the preds as he has his limit on his insurance for that as it comes under his nero muscular problem. The sporanox is for the aspergillus (fungal disease in his nose) we have a claim form coming as it is a different disease but they may argue his immune system is low due to the steroids so they will not let us claim for the new medication but worth a try nothing to lose.

I know if the insurance do pay out they do not mind if it comes from Boots as long as we have the invoice from the vet school to prove it is for Ollie and not just a general prescription we are trying to claim for.

We have to get it as cheaply as possible as he needs it otherwise the outcome could be horrific if not treated so as cheap and cheerful as possible is better in case we cannot claim.