Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mutthouse
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-04-2006, 06:40 PM
Hi Kk

sorry to hear ziggy isn't fairing so well (((hugsxx)))

For firework and other fear problems i have heard good things about serene-um made by Mark and Chappel its supplies the body with serotonin - essential for coping with fear and anxiety. Its good because it does not sedate the dog or impair learning processes. It won't suit every one but for a lot of dogs it works, maybe in combination with a sounds cd (fireworks maybe), you could control those situations until they become "normal"

Big hugs to you too
Nic, jed and kris xxx
Toby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2006, 06:46 PM
Im sorry to hear Ziggy is having such a bad time after such a horrible experience. I'm sure with your care he will make it back to being his normal self, its not been that long - his poor nerves must of been shattered

it's not like you can explain what happened to him either.

My best wishes to you both
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2006, 12:54 PM
Originally Posted by KickstartKelpies
Hi guys,

Well he snored his head off all night due to the pain killers and didn't wake me up by tapping my forhead so I slept in! (will have to dig out the alarm clock for tomorrow!). He's still abit tender on his leg and dosed up to the eye balls bless him.

In general he's very quiet and sleepy and is acting older than the old dog if that makes sense - he's also started staring at the walls again So we're sticking to the hug prescription but not to much, as if you make to much of a fuss he starts trying to find thiings wrong if that makes sense?

H xx
Totally makes sense!
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2006, 01:00 PM
Originally Posted by KickstartKelpies
Hi guys,

Well he snored his head off all night due to the pain killers and didn't wake me up by tapping my forhead so I slept in! (will have to dig out the alarm clock for tomorrow!). He's still abit tender on his leg and dosed up to the eye balls bless him.

In general he's very quiet and sleepy and is acting older than the old dog if that makes sense - he's also started staring at the walls again So we're sticking to the hug prescription but not to much, as if you make to much of a fuss he starts trying to find thiings wrong if that makes sense?

H xx
Have you tried some T Touch massage or a body wrap ?
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2006, 01:07 PM
Sorry to hear about little Ziggy man. My own personal opinion is he needs more time to recover, that's just my opinion. He went through a major traumatic accident, and if you did that, would you be expected to do a cross country run or similar 2 weeks later???? I'm only saying this coz of when I had the horse, any injuries, and there were quite a few, the best healer was always, rest, rest and more rest. Sleep is a great healer you know, and that's probably why he wants to sleep a lot too. By the look on his face I think he's trying to tell you this!! Can't you let the little man have some time off from his agility bit, I'm sure 3 months down the line he'll be raring to go again - I hope so
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2006, 03:35 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54
Sorry to hear about little Ziggy man. My own personal opinion is he needs more time to recover, that's just my opinion. He went through a major traumatic accident, and if you did that, would you be expected to do a cross country run or similar 2 weeks later???? I'm only saying this coz of when I had the horse, any injuries, and there were quite a few, the best healer was always, rest, rest and more rest. Sleep is a great healer you know, and that's probably why he wants to sleep a lot too. By the look on his face I think he's trying to tell you this!! Can't you let the little man have some time off from his agility bit, I'm sure 3 months down the line he'll be raring to go again - I hope so

Hiya,
Ziggie has only done one session of agility since he got back, he hurt his foot whilst out on a walk. He can have as much time as he needs to recover (believe me we've waited alot longer than three months before!). He's not being rushed into anything. I'm well aware of the fact that recovering from the accident is going to take alot of time and getting him back to normal is also going to take alot of work. I posted out of frustration and because I was upset and would rather let it out to a computer screen than getting upset here as that also upsets him. He's now looking a hell of alot better than he did in that photo and is actually pestering to go out to the field, which we're not letting him do. He's a complicated dog to understand and so I can understand your post, but for him (and probably most other kelpies) working is a way of life and stopping him from working upsets him as well. Once his foot is healed he can go out to the field again and herd to his hearts content as well as do bits of agility - he doesnt do agility because I ask him to but takes himself off down to the equipment even if we're not doing that. Believe me I only have his best intrests at heart and stopping him working for 3 months would destroy him.
Thanks for caring.
H xx
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2006, 03:36 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK
Have you tried some T Touch massage or a body wrap ?

Hiya,
Yes we did alot of T-touch with him to help relax him and bring out his confidence before and have started it again
Thanks for the suggestion.
H xx
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2006, 04:29 PM
Sorry Kicks, it seems like I've upset you with my post? I didn't mean to do that at all and I can understand what you're saying about how he loves to work and do his agility, but you did say "maybe I'm expecting too much" in your original post on this thread, and I thought perhaps you were? Sounds like you're not though and were only offloading as you say. I was only trying to give some input as to why he might be feeling like this, I didn't say you were getting him back to normal too fast. He is your dog you will do whatever you think is best for him I know that, so good luck with him, hope he'll stay back to his normal self from now on
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2006, 04:50 PM
Sorry - just read my post through and it was a bit sharp (that'll teach me to read through my posts before I hit the send button!). I know you were trying to help i was just trying to explain why we had allowed him to start work so quickly and that was because it upsets him more by not letting him now im getting my words in a knot. Hope we're ok.
H xx
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2006, 04:50 PM
*still didnt read post through before sending! *
Page 6 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6