Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2008, 12:54 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
wow we havent had anything like that round this way for years now, there used to be a pet shop in Falkirk that sold pups but they were told to stop about 15 years ago poss more than that, I had no idea shops still sold pups

ETA: so the shop closes at 5.30pm ish and the pups stay alone all night? thats harsh

I remember when the petshop in Falkirk sold puppies and they had them in with the monkey
They also at least once had baby crocodiles
It's up to district councils whether or not they grant licenses to petshops to sell pups and kittens . Here in Edinburgh they can't sell pups not sure about kittens
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2008, 12:54 PM
Horrified to hear pet shops still sell puppies, not seen any round here for a long time. Only kittens, guinea pigs & hamsters. Thats bad enough.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2008, 01:20 PM
Originally Posted by mse2ponder View Post
I thought it had been stopped completely, so I wonder whether the licence is too expensive for the smaller shops and so it's only really obtained by the big chains?
The licence is a set fee, doesn't matter what/how many animals you sell!
You just have to 'prove' you have the room, and the correct facilities for keeping the animals you propose to.
The council then send someone to 'inspect', and if the cages/pens are the correct size for said number of animals, you get your licence.
Once you've had your inspection for that year (You have to apply annually), you generally don't get another visit, so i'm sure some of them pack a few more animals in, inbetween visits.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2008, 01:21 PM
Originally Posted by GSD-Sue View Post
Horrified to hear pet shops still sell puppies, not seen any round here for a long time. Only kittens, guinea pigs & hamsters. Thats bad enough.
Rabbits, fish, birds, gerbils, rats..... etc etc etc.

I have a pet shop
Nearly all my animals actually come from 'decent breeders'.
The rest (occasional litters of hamster/rabbits) from people who decide to put 2 together, or buy them from Pets at Home and get told they are the same sex.

My Guinea Pigs come from an old couple who breed to show. They have been breeding/showing for many years, and I get the ones that aren't 'good enough' to be shown.
My Budgies come from a man close to my house, who has been breeding and showing budgies for close to 50 years.

We are clean, never have too many animals (sometimes don't have any G. Pigs/Hamsters etc at all, depending on if the breeders have any), and I think our animals have adequate sized enclosures - which are all larger than the law states they should be, with fewer animals in.
All animals also get handled daily!

A few people from this forum have been in, and can vouch for us!

Saying that, as stated on my other thread, we DO NOT sell puppies/dogs!
We often get asked, and have the number for the KC/local rescues to hand.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2008, 02:16 PM
Originally Posted by Fernsmum View Post
I remember when the petshop in Falkirk sold puppies and they had them in with the monkey
They also at least once had baby crocodiles
It's up to district councils whether or not they grant licenses to petshops to sell pups and kittens . Here in Edinburgh they can't sell pups not sure about kittens
yup the monkey used to sit in with the puppys and kittens and groom them,
it was kinnochs{sp?} in falkirk
Animal
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-09-2008, 02:30 PM
I hate to see pups for sale in pet shops, I don't think it should be allowed. Sadly there is a new pet shop opened up near me, and they have puppies which they advertise as 'Full Pedigree, KC registered' and they are charging a fortune for them (staffy pups at £600 anybody? )

What makes it worse is that there is a vets practice attached to, and is part of, the shop , the pups come with their first injections done, but need to go back to a vet (yup you guessed it, theirs they recommend) for their second shots. What bothers me even more about having a vets attached is that prospective new owners who may not know any better think that because of this the dogs must be from good breeders etc as surely a vet wouldn't support puppy farming? I did point out to a couple outside the shop that any good breeder would certainly NOT give their pups over to a pet shop! If they were interested in a breed, to research and buy from a reputable breeder and not from this place, they agreed with me and walked away from the shop saying they would do just that, gladly

Edited to say I haven't been in yet, my mum made me wait outside while she looked cos she knew I'd get cross, but I plan going back on a busy saturday and asking for hip score results for the sire and dam of the german shepherds in there, very loudly!
ssmith80
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-09-2008, 02:55 PM
I cant believe this is still going on. I mean, i know its a BIG problem in America and animal lovers over there are on the constant battle against pet shop pups and puppy farms, but i had NO idea it was still happening here?!?

The only dogs ive ever seen for sale in a pet shop are the ones on advert cards in the window. I would be completely outraged if i EVER saw crated puppies in a pet shop. Pray for all those shop owners that I never go in!!

The puppies all undoubtedly come from farms where the mother has been bred too young and not properly cared for. I bet there's been no consideration with regards to health checking, and the poor pups were probably snatched away from the mum at the first available opportunity - i.e. FAR too young.

I just hope this is enough information to anyone whos considering buying from a puppy pet shop - Don't do it! Also please be aware that a lot of puppy farms advertise in newspapers. There are some genuine breeders that use newspaper advertising but in my experience it tends to be farms.

Even if you feel sorry for the puppies you really shouldn't buy one, you're just funding the continuation of the cruelty by doing so Oh i'm so wound up now!
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2008, 04:09 PM
There is a shop near me that still sells small breed pups. Usually Jack Russells and crosses of them. Not a very nice place either.
Woodstock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-09-2008, 04:12 PM
Animal - that sounds deeply unethical from the vets point of view. How awful.
HannahCB
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-09-2008, 04:34 PM
i know Harrods sells puppies my mum was in there the other day, i dont think its right personally she said they had a vet in there and that people needed references off vets etc and health clearances but i agree its just not natural and lets face it Harrods are probably going to be one of the best ones but i still dont agree! in Canada there in most pet shops in little cages its awful i just dont aqree sorryfor ranting
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >