View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kimbles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2006, 09:06 AM
not entirely for or against these things, the world is getting too much like bleeding big brother if you ask me
and there is no way we can afford to pay £300 each for one
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2006, 09:37 AM
Like it or not it will in time be impossible to open a bank account, get a mortgage, buy a car and loads of other things that we have to show a driving licence and a utility bill for now.

I have no objections to them at all, but then I remember when you could not buy food without a ration book or card and we had no trouble with remembering to take those with us.

As to personal details, well most are known to others as it is, medical, work, financial, convictions and court orders, birth, parents, school and g*d knows what else and what is it about me that is so precious anyway, don’t really care who knows about me, mind you I doubt anyone would be interested.

Can't see, unless we have something to hide, why we should be worried, there have been things in my life I would rather were private but I doubt they are likely to be on my records and they are of no interest to anyone beyond my family, if that, can't think of anything that is not already available to those who may wish to have it that is likely to be on an ID card apart that is from the contours of my eye not sure I can work up much of a lather over that.
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

15-02-2006, 10:29 AM
Thats my OH opinion J, you got nothing to hide whats to worry about

I`ve got nothing to hide but can`t for the life of me see WHAT they need all that personal info for & object to it all being on a register somewhere
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2006, 11:49 AM
But it is already Christine.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2006, 12:19 PM
so are we saying that ID cards will stop terrorists from coming into the uk ???
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2006, 12:53 PM
Originally Posted by Inca
so are we saying that ID cards will stop terrorists from coming into the uk ???
No, well I was not, how could it, they can come in if they have a passport so what difference would an ID card make. But it would mean that a better check could be kept of people under suspicion. You will in the future not be able to travel abroad without a passport carrying the sort of information that the ID card will have so if a terrorist is able to get a passport they would be able to get an ID card, however if, as has been the case in the past, you are picked up for terrorist related matters then that will be on your ID info and therefore picked up if and when you are found in those circumstances in the future, and that should ring bells.

At the moment by the time a search of various records held in any number of places and with various restrictions have been obtained and collated the suspect will either be out of the country or have committed that which was feared. It has evolved that all those involved in the July bombs were known to have been involved in terrorist matters and had travelled abroad to be briefed, that would have been readily available from the ID card as would the fact that someone has in the past been convicted or held for any sort of crime and in future from the passport but if they can be forged then no it will not help anymore than the now international passport regulations will. One will have to hope that technology will stay ahead of the criminal
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2006, 01:11 PM
Our terrorists have been living amongst us for years, it has been proven! They have probably been given accommodation and are probably falsely claiming benefits, coz they are all illegal immigrants and wouldn't legitimately be able to claim. However, when we have the new proposed ID cards they probably won't be able to get one (I hope!! and that's a bighope!!)as I don't think they're knowledgeable enough or would have the necessary equipment to forge the fingerprint and iris chip which will be on our cards. With the increase in identity fraud I think this will also be of great help, coz even if somebody nicks my identity and my card, they can't possibly have the same fingerprints as me nor the same eyes!! Big Brother already probably has loads of information on me, but I really don't care, why should I, unless it's going to be used fraudulently?

I'm assuming that because my card will carry my specific details, i.e. fingerprints and iris scans, they will have to match the machines installed at certain checkpoints wherever needed, say for benefit claims etc. and this is why I think it's a good idea, as we will save millions of pounds currently being paid out by our government, and may end up with a better NHS, which would be great wouldn't it?

I would like to see any comments as to WHY some of you do NOT want them?
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2006, 01:14 PM
Originally Posted by Mel
How?

No one has yet explained how it will help wheedle out them OR terrorists
Well, at present, people steal all sorts of government payment books, i.e. pensions, income support, etc. etc. so I'm assuming when one of these people go to collect their weekly cash from the offices, or wants to get it paid into their bank accounts, they will have to produce their ID card won't they? That is when they'll hit a problem, coz they can't lie about who they are, and even ifthey stole the ID card to match the paying out book, I'm sure they will have machines installed to match that person to that actual card, surely?
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2006, 02:26 PM
Well, I have no problem with buying one

BUT - I think that once they are introduced there will be a reliance on them (they will become 'gospel') and therefore other security measures that are used now, will drop by the wayside. I think that will be quite dangerous - I am sure that even if the iris imprint cannot be reproduced, the information stored on the card will be stolen / sold to match the 'criminals' own card. Also, what stops someone from getting multiple cards all with the same imprint, but with other folks information?

and let's face it - if I can think of a couple of ways to 'beat the system' even if I don't have the knowledge / equipment / incentive to actually do anything, the people that are making millions of pounds out of fraudulent activites have, don't they?

That, coupled with the fact that the government couldn't organise a p**s up in a brewery..............
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2006, 04:26 PM
Eyes are even more individual than fingerprints so I don't think you could steal a card to fit an individual. Think the thing with the card is the more information that can be cross referenced the more unlikely it can be accurately reproduced, just one digit out of thousands will cause the chip to be rejected. Sure there will be teething problems but it will become worldwide and will become a case of if you do not have ID you do not exist. As far as I understand getting more than one card, if the first is lost or defaced, may be allowed but even if you had it stolen or lost it unless it matched the person using it, it would be without value.
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >