Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Natasha
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2005, 12:44 PM

Locked for edit?

Does anyone know whats going on here, I have Microsoft word installed but I have just gone to use it and this message comes up 'This command is not available because the document is locked for edit' so I uninstalled word and loaded it back on to see if that helps and it hasnt, I really need to get this sorted so if anyone knows or thinks they know what will help, please let me know. Thanks
royv
Dogsey Senior
Male 

15-11-2005, 01:14 PM
There are several reasons why this might happen. Don't have the time right now to give a fuller explanation - later when I get back from work. One reason could be that the computer crashed whilst the document was being worked on - so it thinks that it is already open!

The work around is to create a new word document and copy and paste the contents of the old document to the new one. Save the new document under a different name.
Natasha
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2005, 02:23 PM
Originally Posted by royv
There are several reasons why this might happen. Don't have the time right now to give a fuller explanation - later when I get back from work. One reason could be that the computer crashed whilst the document was being worked on - so it thinks that it is already open!

The work around is to create a new word document and copy and paste the contents of the old document to the new one. Save the new document under a different name.

I want to create a new document as Im typing my essay up (or trying too), but it wont let me nor will it allow me to work on any other documents I have.

I have tried to copy and paste the documents onto a new one, but it wont let me do that either.

Thanks for your help
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-11-2005, 04:22 PM
Nat have a look there in the office help

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/as...406121033.aspx

That will solve your problem i hope
Tom
Dogsey Senior
Male 

15-11-2005, 04:45 PM
If you need to type this up quick and the problem isnt sorted type it in dome other program e.g powerpoint, Notepad .... just a thought
Natasha
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2005, 05:52 PM
Fred, Thankyou so much for that Ive got it working after following your link :smt023 Thank god for that it was driving me nuts

Thanks Tom as well, but the essay has to be typed up in word really

Appreciate all your help
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2005, 06:12 PM
Glad it's working again, always happens when you want to type an essay though doesn't it?

Nothing to do with the above but a good tip (if you haven't already been told it!) is to back up each copy of your essay by sending it to your own email address. That way if your pc/laptop crashes you'll be able to reach a copy through someone elses pc! Helped me no end when my monitor blew!
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

15-11-2005, 06:14 PM
As I'm in the mood for promoting all the free software type stuff lately, have a look at www.openoffice.org. No activate product shenannigens here!
Natasha
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2005, 06:23 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd
Glad it's working again, always happens when you want to type an essay though doesn't it?

Nothing to do with the above but a good tip (if you haven't already been told it!) is to back up each copy of your essay by sending it to your own email address. That way if your pc/laptop crashes you'll be able to reach a copy through someone elses pc! Helped me no end when my monitor blew!
I know what you mean its been working fine until today when I actually needed it just typical

Yes I back up my work on a usb stick Ive just ordered there is no way Im loosing all my work . But when I forget my stick when Im in uni I send it to my email address so I have it when I get in, that sounds abit sad sending myself emails glad to know Im not the only one who does it

Thanks Rich I will take a look at your link now, do you work on commission?
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2005, 06:26 PM
I'm sadder, I send from hotmail to Uni email, which then bounces back to hotmail. I end up sending myself emails twice!

I've no friends :smt022
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >