Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jake
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2005, 01:53 PM

Windows media help.

I have a new laptop which i've managed to get up and running fine (which is a miracle for me!) just one problem! my windows media programme wont recognise that i'm connected to the internet. I can record CD's and add them to my media library however it is listing the recorded tracks as track1 track2 etc and every time I click on the look up album info button I'm getting a message about proxy settings and security telling me i'm not connected to the internet even though I am.

Does anyone out there know what on earth that means?

If so could you please explain to me in idiot terms what I have to do about it. As it's doing my head in!!

Thanks in advance for your help
Laura xxxxxx
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2005, 03:43 PM
Originally Posted by jake
I have a new laptop which i've managed to get up and running fine (which is a miracle for me!) just one problem! my windows media programme wont recognise that i'm connected to the internet. I can record CD's and add them to my media library however it is listing the recorded tracks as track1 track2 etc and every time I click on the look up album info button I'm getting a message about proxy settings and security telling me i'm not connected to the internet even though I am.

Does anyone out there know what on earth that means?

If so could you please explain to me in idiot terms what I have to do about it. As it's doing my head in!!

Thanks in advance for your help
Laura xxxxxx
Oh I know what you mean Jake, I have had that as well. How are you connected to the internet is the wire from your laptop connected right to the phone line or is it on wireless? Have you run the internet wizard thing that you have to run to connect you up?
royv
Dogsey Senior
Male 

26-09-2005, 04:29 PM
Assuming that you are surfing the net OK with the laptop, try doing this:

1. Start Windows Media Player.
2. On the Tools menu, click Options.
3. Click the Network tab.
4. In the Proxy Settings section, double-click the protocol that you want to configure.
5. The default proxy setting is Use browser proxy settings. To change this setting, click the option you want to use.
6. Click OK.

The HTTP one is the one you have to look at. Try using Autodetect proxy settings if browser proxy settings doesn't work.

The other thing that could stop it from working is if you have a software Firewall which is bloocking the program from connecting out.
royv
Dogsey Senior
Male 

27-09-2005, 08:42 AM
Additional info on Windows media player errors can be found here:

Media player 9: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...yererrors.aspx
Media player 10: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...10/errors.aspx
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-09-2005, 08:49 AM
Jake check your firewall first to see if that is stopping it
jake
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2005, 07:12 PM
Thanks for all the help, so far so good I think I've sorted it out thanks all xxxx