Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Seasnipper
New Member!
Female 

18-11-2017, 09:12 PM

Short distance dog sledding help

I'm not sure if this would go into the dog sports section or the Working Dog section but here goes..

Anyone on here who has experience with mushing of any kind (including canicross!) your input would be greatly appreciated. I currently have three dogs that I'm attempting dog sledding with.. or really just two now, my lead dog was diagnosed with Hip dysplasia, which means I'm stuck with two dogs who haven't a clue of what they're doing in lead. The younger one is in training to become a better leader but she's got a looong way to go. Anyway, I'd like to eventually do short/mid distance races and I'm looking into getting another dog or two within the next year. I'm moving to North Carolina so there's not a surplus of dog sledding kennels I can get trained sled dogs from. The retired lead dog, his name is Kronan and he's some sort of Pointer/Amstaff mix and honestly, I've fallen in love with hounds because of him. He's super driven to run, he has a high prey drive so he wants to keep up with- if not pass the dogs in front of him on the trail, he's very intelligent and an eager learner.

Long story short (hah) I'm wondering how well it would go if I got a German Shorthaired Pointer or a Vizsla and trained it to pull? Do you think they'd have the drive? What are they like indoors? Which do you think would do better? I've never had Pointers or Vizsla's before, only Kronan who looks like a 40lb tan pointer. If you have any shorthaired breed suggestions that might do well in bikejoring/canicross/dogsledding feel free to share, as well as any experience with Vizsla's and Pointers. I know my best bet is with Alaskan and Siberian huskies, but I really would like something with shorter hair, and maybe be a little more drivey/excitable than the current two huskies I have.
Seasnipper
New Member!
Female 

02-12-2017, 08:48 PM
Alright so I've added Doberman Pinscher's to the possibility..