Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-09-2017, 06:12 PM

Another bazza brainwave

In myworkshop I wanted a light over my other work bench and have wanted one for years. Did a huge flourescant one for the bench on the left but the one on the right was dark.

I had a brainwave,yes I do have some on occassions when the brain cell has stopped roling on the floor.

I remembered somewhere or other I had put away a bulkhead light bought at least 30 years ago if not more. Strangely enough I knew exactly where it was so dug it out.

So opened it up and all the parts were still there, even the cover clips. Having got plenty of flexable cable, again bought many years ago and same with a plug.
So this evening fitted it all up, not the way I would run cables but what the heck, my workshop

switched it on and it works and does light up the right hand side workbench . Should have done it years ago

All alarmed up as well

Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-09-2017, 06:42 PM
Originally Posted by tumbleweed View Post
In myworkshop I wanted a light over my other work bench and have wanted one for years. Did a huge flourescant one for the bench on the left but the one on the right was dark.

I had a brainwave,yes I do have some on occassions when the brain cell has stopped roling on the floor.

I remembered somewhere or other I had put away a bulkhead light bought at least 30 years ago if not more. Strangely enough I knew exactly where it was so dug it out.

So opened it up and all the parts were still there, even the cover clips. Having got plenty of flexable cable, again bought many years ago and same with a plug.
So this evening fitted it all up, not the way I would run cables but what the heck, my workshop

switched it on and it works and does light up the right hand side workbench . Should have done it years ago

All alarmed up as well

Looks excellent. From the energy consumption perspective, I'd have used LED fixtures.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

01-09-2017, 07:19 PM
Having got plenty of flexable cable, again bought many years ago and same with a plug.
OMG bet you committed the most heinous of sins TW bet the cable had red and black wires whereas the nanny state insists that it should be brown and blue

Also, you are taking a big chance posting this on a public forum 'cos again the nanny state insists that such wiring be done by an approved electrical installer or at least checked over and approved by such a person.

As it happens I am about to install lighting in my workshop which will be needed as we approach the darker days of winter, am I going to use that big reel of cable (which I've been lugging around the last three homes we've lived in) with black & red wires am I going to call in (and pay) an electrical company to check it over

I leave you to answer that one
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

01-09-2017, 07:22 PM
All alarmed up as well
Very wise precaution, tools from sheds are high on the list of nickable items.
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-09-2017, 07:32 PM
New cable type and light cost nothing already had5 I did 5 yr electrical apprenticeship
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-09-2017, 07:16 PM
That flourescent strip is a bit bright full on, so as I had a length of roof guttering, my brain cell got active again. Cut it to size turn upside down an a perfect light shade.

While at it most of my drill bits are dull(blunt), so i dug out a machine called a drill Doctor which sharpens them, so big long job tomorrow sharpening loads of metal drills
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

02-09-2017, 09:21 PM
I did 5 yr electrical apprenticeship
Nanny state doesn't (can't) see the benefits, even if Nikolaus Tesla were alive today and living in England even he wouldn't be allowed to do electrical wiring unless he was an NICEIC approved contractor, a nice little monopoly

so i dug out a machine called a drill Doctor which sharpens them, so big long job tomorrow sharpening loads of metal drills
Let me know if it works, I need to sharpen lots of mine as well.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2017, 09:28 PM
Brilliant looking workshop, great lighting idea too. I am going to use guttering to grow Sedums on the summer house roof at some point.
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-09-2017, 09:42 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
Nanny state doesn't (can't) see the benefits, even if Nikolaus Tesla were alive today and living in England even he wouldn't be allowed to do electrical wiring unless he was an NICEIC approved contractor, a nice little monopoly

Let me know if it works, I need to sharpen lots of mine as well.
Works fine and easy to use
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

03-09-2017, 12:07 PM
Works fine and easy to use
Thanks, I've tried various 'devices' over the years, some better than others but none really convinced me they were doing the job right and most were difficult to set up.

Looks like I should give the 'Drill Doctor' a try
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >