Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-04-2011, 07:05 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Nope. Not argue, just point out the other side of it.
If this was the equivalent of a dog sport, where this number of dogs were injured and die, people on here would be outraged if people posted about betting on it.
Nor do I see the point in there being an 'anti' or 'for' thread...the title was 'The Grand National'
The title referefed to the race tomorrow. In a light hearted way, it asked who we were betting on. It was specific to tomorrow's race.

Will anyone be having a little bet on the Grand National tomorrow?

I don't know much about horse racing but ever since we were kids Dad always let us pick a horse and he'd put a pound on it for us so we always have a bet every year now except Dad doesn't pay for it anymore!!

I've picked my horses for this year and would be interested to see who others are going for.

I'm going for Grand Slam Hero and Quinz. Last year my horse won (just a shame the jockey fell off it earlier in the race!!)

You made your point with your links. I say again, if you have a problem with horse racing in general, why not start your own thread? Let people who want to discuss what you don't like alone.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2011, 07:12 PM
I was commenting on the race tomorrow. Don't understand why there should be a new thread, unless my posts are making you uncomfortable for some reason? Horses die regularly in this race, how do you justify that, or would you rather pretend it doesn't happen??!!
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-04-2011, 07:24 PM
Why you should make a new thread is just common decency. We were having a discussion. About betting on horses. If you don't like betting on horses, either say nowt, or air your views elsewhere. I will be pleased to read it. Just don't barge into other peoples conversations, telling them how awful they are. It is rude, and you will not get your point across.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

08-04-2011, 07:37 PM
I don't really know much about it, but if it's as gruelling as Ramble and others are suggesting then I, as an animal lover, am against it too.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

08-04-2011, 07:39 PM
Originally Posted by Luthien View Post
Why you should make a new thread is just common decency. We were having a discussion. About betting on horses. If you don't like betting on horses, either say nowt, or air your views elsewhere. I will be pleased to read it. Just don't barge into other peoples conversations, telling them how awful they are. It is rude, and you will not get your point across.
Lol chill, we're just airing our opinions - if you ignore them then a discussion can't take place
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-04-2011, 07:42 PM
10 to 1 Azz is out by 2014
Can we continue now?
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Hateful, HATEFUL race......

Almost every year a tragedy, and STILL it continues.....

WHY?
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

I'm gutted that I miss this (I'm working ) every year...putting a bet on and not actually watching the race isn't exactly the same!
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2011, 07:45 PM
I can see Luthiens point, the discussion is about what bets we are laying on tomorrows race, not the pros and cons of the race it's self.

I think I will take a stroll to the bookies tomorrow for my 2 choices
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2011, 07:46 PM
Originally Posted by Luthien View Post
I was hoping this may be a discussion about the race, rather than an argument about horse racing

Could you not have started an anti thread Ramble? It seems like every post is just a reason to argue.
Me too but I wanted to acknowledge Ramble's contribution to the thread even though it's maybe not the response I was looking for.

As I have said it is incredibly sad that horses die in these races or as a result of them but with no disrespect intended I am often dubious of the types of sites given in the links posted as they only paint one side of the story.

These horses are trained for such events and it never seems like the horses don't enjoy it.
Page 4 of 52 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 > Last »