Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jacksondad
Dogsey Junior
Male 

14-11-2010, 07:31 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
It's never too soon! You are already contemplating, and although you said you always thought dear Jackson would always be at your side, he still IS, just that you can't see him anymore, but he's definitely there all around you, and with his help, you will once again have the love of a furry friend or lots of them, he'll find the right ones for you don't you worry about that! Do what your heart tells you to do and you won't go far wrong is my advice. I hope time heals for you, and you will never replace dear Jackson, but I'm sure by the sounds of it, there's still a lot of heart left in you to find room for a couple more, he didn't take all of it you know, he only took a piece. All the best to you, it will happen!
Thats such a lovely thing to say thankyou ,.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2010, 07:45 PM
Greyhound rescues would be so grateful of a foster home. These beautiful gentle hounds are so desperate for places to go it sounds like it could be the perfect solution for you and them.
You never know your new friend may just be waiting in the wings and come to you as a foster that you can't bear to part with, then you will know the time is right for certain.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2010, 08:40 PM
Originally Posted by Jacksondad View Post
Thankyou thats a brilliant idea I never even considered fostering ., But definately give it loads of thought .
It is a great idea ... and if you are in Scotland, GSD Rescue are desperate for foster carers!

Also, I just wanted to say that everyone copes differently with the loss of their dog. I couldn't live without a dog by my side for very long at all, but wouldn't feel I was replacing the dog I had lost, but simply honouring his/her memory.
EgyptGal
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-11-2010, 09:07 PM
I agree with the fostering idea,it will let you discover whether you're ready for another permanent dog and if not at least you will know without making a real commitment to another dog.....if you are however you can stop questioning yourself because you will know also you will have helped an animal in need which will make you feel good.Hope you feel happier soon
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2010, 09:31 AM
Fostering is a brilliant idea. I lost my last GSD, Jaikei in November 2004. It took until Febvruary 2008 to get another dog (which was Zane). I have NEVER been without a dog in my life for that length of time and although I still found it hard to accept, I eventually realised that Jaikei is still there. OK so her body isn't next to me but in spirit she is.

Also, I did what you did. I went downhill very quickly when I lost her and every day was filled with sorrow. It took a logn time to get back up on my feet and decide I was goign to remeber all the positive things, how she made me feel when she was alive, how we enjoyed out walks, playtimes etc. I had been dwelling on her being ill and blaming myself for not being able to help her more.

Now I have the 4 dogs and I have vowed to NEVER be without a dog again.

What I can tell you though, is that every fosterer I know of (myself inclded) has "failed" at some point. By that I mean that a foster dog comes to stay temporarily, and ends up staying for good.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2010, 02:51 PM
You beat me to it Laura I was just going to say try fostering but don't be surprised if you end up adopting your foster dog.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2