Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2010, 09:57 PM
Originally Posted by settagirl View Post
Something I have always wanted to ask meat eaters, would you still eat it if you had to kill it and skin it etc...?
Originally Posted by EGYPTGAL View Post
which leads back to the question raised earlier could you kill your own animal to eat
Yes, and I do.

OH and I try not to buy any meat from the supermarket, we prefer to eat game meat. We start stocking up the freezer a few weeks into the partridge season, and then the same with the pheasant season. OH's theory is giving them a couple of weeks into the season means the meat is better on them. We also go out shooting pidgeons, with the purpose of them ending up in the freezer, and also ducks. We try to stock up with venison, but there aren't a great deal of deer in our area.

The only time we generally have to buy meat from a supermarket is towards the end of August, as our freezer is empty of game meat and the shooting season has almost started.

I love being able to eat the pheasants and partridges as I have been there to help raise them since they are day olds and they arrive on the rearing field. I know how they are kept, what they are fed etc etc.

I'm fussy with what meat I like and eat, but I know I couldn't give it up!
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2010, 12:32 PM
I eat meat because I enjoy the taste of it. I am a very fussy eater, and have health problems (not caused by being fussy) so can not really restrict my diet any further. Also I love salmon (and prawns) waaaay too much to be a 'proper' veggi eater! lol I dislike the taste of many veggies too.

However, because of health problems (mainly associated with my kidneys) I now can only eat certain cuts or types of meat and have restricted the amount of meat I do eat on a weekly basis (says she who just scoffed a huuuge bacon sarnie!). Now when I eat meat I try and mix it up with something- chicken and bacon salad, or having meat in pasta/rice, omlette, or a jacket potato.

I now buy all my meat (mainly chicken, some beef mince/steak and occasionally lamb chops, only pork being bacon and ham), fruit and veg from a local farm shop, and know many of the farms who sell the meat as I went out with a farmer a while back- and got to know who was who.

I couldn't live being a veggie, due to being a fussy eater but I have much respect for veggie and vegan eaters.
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-10-2010, 12:50 PM
I'm another confirmed meat eater, although I don't buy it from supermarkets, in fact I don't shop in supermarkets at all if I can help it. I have a weekly trip to the butchers and they give me a big tray of lamb bones for the dogs for free, I buy other bits and pieces for me and for them at the same time. This is a butchers that don't stock meat except for within a 20 mile radius, they have a chain of 7 shops and have won quite a few awards.

I don't mind plucking, drawing, gutting, skinning, and haven't got a problem with killing an animal for meat and other products. I try not to waste anything, I even post the wings off any game birds I get to a friend who has a company selling gundog training equipment. My dogs get any offal and other bits I can give them.

Tau has quite often fetched me a myxi rabbit, that I've put out of it's misery, yet I know a lot of people that would leave them to suffer and die slowly. I know a lot of people wouldn't be able to even think about killing an animal, but in that instance it is more cruel to leave it alive I think, but nature is cruel, not always pink and fluffy.

Not eating meat in the case of many people wouldn't end all suffering associated with their life style. A lot of the products we buy we expect to be able to purchase cheaply, so they're manufactured in conditions we personally wouldn't work in, and yet we are happy to forget these things because it suits our life styles. This perpetuates the existence of both humans and animals in other countries in a way that we would deem as 'cruel' and yet we support it by demanding cheap products from them. I think it is very hard to live an even moderately ethical life these days, but people are always quick to support something when it doesn't mean they have to actually change the way they live, or do anything, other than have an opinion.

The best way to get a lot of opinions from people who have nothing to do with something, is start a thread on foxhunting, chuckle!

Disclaimer: I am not for or against fox hunting, because I have nothing to do with it, just in case anyone wonders.....
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2010, 07:00 PM
I cannot remember a time when I did eat meat to be honest. When I was 4 I had a serious illness as I had Glandular Fever but our family doctor mis-diagnosed me and the hospital removed my appendix (if it had happened nowadays I would probably be a millionaire in compensation!). I nearly died in hospital and was in there months. When I came out my appetite was very poor and I never enjoyed meat and still don't like it as an adult 40 years on.

When I met my husband at Bible college I did try eating meat as I guess I just wanted to "fit in" but never enjoyed it and made me feel ill as tummy wasn't used to it. Jamie loves meat and yet he was shocked when we visited my niece and nephew-in-law and ate one of their chickens they had killed. If he had to kill his own meat he would be vegetarian he said.

It is much easier being a veggie nowadays than when I was young as much more common and supermarkets and restaurants cater for us now when they didn't before.
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2011, 02:36 PM
I eat meat because I enjoy it.

I have issues with people who think that the vegetable/fruit industry is all that much better than the meat industry. Here, at least, many are sprayed with pesticides which may be harmful. And many of the large fruit/veggie producing places hire illegal immigrants and people desperate for any sort of job and then treat them horribly. They don't even get minimum wage, they're worked for long hours out in the hot sun, and really horribly mistreated. It's a sad thing about the human condition: we're prone to mistreating ALL animals, be they human or otherwise.
Page 25 of 25 « First < 15 22 23 24 25