Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jacksondad
Dogsey Junior
Male 

14-11-2010, 12:32 PM

Need advice

I haven't been on line much since loosing Jackson ,
I have been thinking lately of rehoming some rescue dogs , As I have loads of space , As the house where I live was once owned by a couple who ran boarding kennels , I have kept myself busy by dismantling runs etc , And now have a huge exercise area .
The dogs would be kept in doors as I live alone so would be able to keep them as inside dogs ,
Was thinking of ex racing greyhounds as Iv always liked the breed ,
But Im torn about what to do , As Jackson was a big part of my life and my best pal and I miss him dreadfully , And I feel like he would think id be replacing him which im not as nothing could do that , And I think sometimes its too soon ,
I would value your opinons ,
Is it too soon for me to give another dog a home ?
Thanks in advance for all replies .

Regards Anthony
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2010, 12:49 PM
How about fostering some dogs for a local rescue? Sounds like you could provide a brilliant home, especially if you have loads of space (great training area to teach a rescue dog, who may not have got much time off-lead in kennels, a good recall). That way you may not feel you're replacing Jackson, but helping some dogs in his honour, and if you fall in love with a foster dog then there's always the choice to "fail" as a fosterer and keep the dog
Otherwise, if you're happy to have more than one dog, I'm sure rescues would be throwing themselves at you to home a bonded pair - pairs often struggle because people tend to approach rescue looking for one dog, as a first dog or to go with another dog they own, and pairs can get turned down.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2010, 12:55 PM
Everyone deals with the loss of a pet in a different way.
Some people (I would include myself in this) would find it impossibe to live in a house without a dog.

I have known situations where people have deliberatly gone out to 'replace' a dog.....does not work IMO, but looking at a different dog or looking to give a dog in need a home is really quite different.

I would suggets you go an look around a rescue centre....with a sensible friend .....and see if any of them speak to you.
If its right...you will know.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2010, 12:58 PM
Totally agree with the fostering route.

In my opinion, you sound like you're almost ready for another dog but, if it's too traumatic, a foster will (hopefully) not be around too long.

On the other hand, this may be just too "temporary" for you, in which case, a permanent new additional member to your family sounds the ticket.

Sorry, I've just realised that I've not helped at all, have I ?

I'll just add that you sound like you have the perfect set up for a dog (or several) and any dog you do take on would be very lucky indeed.....

x0x
Jacksondad
Dogsey Junior
Male 

14-11-2010, 12:59 PM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
How about fostering some dogs for a local rescue? Sounds like you could provide a brilliant home, especially if you have loads of space (great training area to teach a rescue dog, who may not have got much time off-lead in kennels, a good recall). That way you may not feel you're replacing Jackson, but helping some dogs in his honour, and if you fall in love with a foster dog then there's always the choice to "fail" as a fosterer and keep the dog
Otherwise, if you're happy to have more than one dog, I'm sure rescues would be throwing themselves at you to home a bonded pair - pairs often struggle because people tend to approach rescue looking for one dog, as a first dog or to go with another dog they own, and pairs can get turned down.
Thankyou thats a brilliant idea I never even considered fostering ., But definately give it loads of thought .
Jacksondad
Dogsey Junior
Male 

14-11-2010, 01:01 PM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
Totally agree with the fostering route.

In my opinion, you sound like you're almost ready for another dog but, if it's too traumatic, a foster will (hopefully) not be around too long.

On the other hand, this may be just too "temporary" for you, in which case, a permanent new additional member to your family sounds the ticket.

Sorry, I've just realised that I've not helped at all, have I ?

I'll just add that you sound like you have the perfect set up for a dog (or several) and any dog you do take on would be very lucky indeed.....

x0x
Thank you you have helped , You have given me food for thought so to speak .
Jacksondad
Dogsey Junior
Male 

14-11-2010, 01:07 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Everyone deals with the loss of a pet in a different way.
Some people (I would include myself in this) would find it impossibe to live in a house without a dog.

I have known situations where people have deliberatly gone out to 'replace' a dog.....does not work IMO, but looking at a different dog or looking to give a dog in need a home is really quite different.

I would suggets you go an look around a rescue centre....with a sensible friend .....and see if any of them speak to you.
If its right...you will know.
I have dealt with Jackson death badly as I have let it consume my daily life , I have never felt loss like it , It wasnt till I lost him that I truly understood how much I loved him , If that makes sense I quess in some ways I just took for granted he would always be by my side ,I couldntt face a rescue centres just yet as I felt torn , But Ill definately look into fostering as well as the long term adoption side of things as I need to feel ready to give a dog/dogs a forever home , But fostering would be a gentle way of easing myself in to the long term also and most importantly if I can give a dog love and kindness and indeed help it to find a forever home either with myself or a more suited home for its needs , I feel Jackson would approve .
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2010, 01:15 PM
Originally Posted by Jacksondad View Post
I have dealt with Jackson death badly as I have let it consume my daily life , I have never felt loss like it , It wasnt till I lost him that I truly understood how much I loved him , If that makes sense I quess in some ways I just took for granted he would always be by my side ,I couldntt face a rescue centres just yet as I felt torn , But Ill definately look into fostering as well as the long term adoption side of things as I need to feel ready to give a dog/dogs a forever home , But fostering would be a gentle way of easing myself in to the long term also and most importantly if I can give a dog love and kindness and indeed help it to find a forever home either with myself or a more suited home for its needs , I feel Jackson would approve .
Sounds good

The only time I have fostered...I failed
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2010, 01:15 PM
It's never too soon! You are already contemplating, and although you said you always thought dear Jackson would always be at your side, he still IS, just that you can't see him anymore, but he's definitely there all around you, and with his help, you will once again have the love of a furry friend or lots of them, he'll find the right ones for you don't you worry about that! Do what your heart tells you to do and you won't go far wrong is my advice. I hope time heals for you, and you will never replace dear Jackson, but I'm sure by the sounds of it, there's still a lot of heart left in you to find room for a couple more, he didn't take all of it you know, he only took a piece. All the best to you, it will happen!
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2010, 02:19 PM
If you feel its too soon then wait, only you will know when the time is right. No matter how long you wait, he will never be forgotten and always be there, and I'm sure he liked his owner when he was happy and if a new addition will do that for you, then only you can decide when.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help than that but only you can make that decision.

I still remember my dog that was 'lost' over 20 years ago, just as I do the one that passed away about 6 years ago. I have a dog now and I treasure him, but will never forget those two either. As I'm sure you won't. A new dog is never a replacement but an individual in thier own right and I'm sure Jackson would understand.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >