Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2012, 04:45 PM

When buying collars online..

I have asked something similar before but wanted to ask this too

For those of you with larger dogs, and who buy collars/leads online, how can you tell which are going to be strong enough?

With Alfie all I have to get is the size he needs and then it's fine, but he doesn't pull and even if he did he isn't strong.

When looking online at the larger size collars, yeah they may fit, but how can you tell they are strong enough?

For example the half check ones?

Do you go off the basis that if they are big enough they are strong enough?

Heard too many stories of collars snapping!
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2012, 05:21 PM
I think it's partly trial and error

Dexter's half check is just a basic black nylon and chain one from PAH. He's had two, as he outgrew the first one. They have thus far been brilliant and withstood a hell of a lot of pulling, plus Dex's violent lunges!

That said, when I later read reviews of the collar online, many people complained that the collars broke!

In terms of finding a strong collar:

When Dex is offlead at the park he wears the half check but ALSO another collar as he can slip out of the half check. At present, his second collar is an Ezydog collar - I bought this because they were recommended for strong, big dogs. They have worked really well thus far.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2012, 05:34 PM
I buy from suppliers that I know supply the type and quality and strength of collars I require.

So, basically, experience.
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2012, 05:48 PM
Thanks both!

Tabitha - how does he slip his half check?

Are half checks more "sensible" for larger dogs?

I do like the look of the Ezydog collars but they aren't half check?
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2012, 05:55 PM
Originally Posted by kammi_sparky123 View Post
Thanks both!

Oh, he has this knack of contracting his neck muscles and sort of eases the half check over his head! Now wondering if it's fitted too loosely but it's not that loose..!

I use a half check because he does still lunge when spooked or excited (the latter happens often!) and the half check gives me a little bit more control. If he wore just a 'flat' collar, he would throttle himself!

Ezydog collars are not usually half check - but they have just started producing a martingale-type collar.

Sorry, forgot to explain: he wears a 'normal' Ezydog collar when in the park, off lead, partly because they are very wide and robust and I think it protects his neck. My brother's Lab was mauled by an off leash dog and the dog clamped its teeth around his neck and almost killed him...

Ever since then, I've rather liked Dex to wear a nice wide collar when playing with a group of dogs......! Might just be me, being over protective, but I figure it does no harm.

That said, I've ordered a collar from ORVIS UK that is less wide though still thick. It will have my phone numbers embroidered on it very clearly. Once it arrives, Dex will always wear that when off lead, instead of the Ezydog collar.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-01-2012, 05:59 PM
Originally Posted by kammi_sparky123 View Post
Thanks both!

Pereg has an EzyDog collar and it is not a half check one. The only problem with the EzyDog collar was the size. After carefully measuring and re-measuring I ordered what I thought was the correct size. It was too small, so I ordered a larger one [Medium] and return the original one for a refund.

I am now not happy with the Medium size as although it does fit and is half way inbetween tightest and loosest , it concerns me that the adjustment is by velcro. Admitted the velcro is very strong but it still worries me that only half of the collar adjustment is actually velcro'd on.

So I now need to order yet another collar in the Large size and as EzyDog [and other online UK companies] will accept my payment but will not mail here, I have to yet again find a friend in the UK who will accept the collar and mail it on to me.

But they are very nice collars. [She also has a matching EzyDog Quickfit harness]
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2012, 06:02 PM
MALKA:

I know what you mean, I was really surprised at the velcro when I got the first Ezydog collar. That said, they do seem really robust and I also like that they do extra wide collars for larger dogs.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-01-2012, 06:10 PM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
MALKA:

I know what you mean, I was really surprised at the velcro when I got the first Ezydog collar. That said, they do seem really robust and I also like that they do extra wide collars for larger dogs.
I am actually very pleased with both the collar and the harness, as I think the quality is excellent, BUT - the collar fits half way between loosest and tightest which means that half the velcro fastening is showing - which means that in fact only half of the adjustment is actually closed by the velcro.

[Sorry but I am having problems in explaining what I mean]

So I want to buy another collar for Pereg, in the Large size this time, only I can only get one by buying it and having it sent to someone in the UK who will be prepared to mail it on to me.

I do not clip either her rope or her leash onto her collar, just onto her harness, but she wears a collar which has her tags on it, and I like the fact that the EzyDog collars have a separate wotsit for tags so they do not have to be put on the D-ring. And I could always clip her rope or leash onto her collar in an emergency if she is not wearing her harness.

I also think that the price is very good for the quality of the product.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2012, 06:12 PM
Basically, my rule of thumb is none of those poxy click type fasteners, only proper metal buckles if i'm looking at strong collars for a large, strong dog. I dont do leather neither since I had one snap on me, despite treating it regularly.
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2012, 06:15 PM
I do get what you mean Malka! Must be a tad annoying I can imagine!

Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
Basically, my rule of thumb is none of those poxy click type fasteners, only proper metal buckles if i'm looking at strong collars for a large, strong dog. I dont do leather neither since I had one snap on me, despite treating it regularly.
Do you use half checks?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >