Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2007, 12:26 PM

Acupuncture - Bailey's First Session

I wanted to share this experience with you, never having witnessed acupuncture before I was well equipped with lots of advice and support from our friends on Dogsey, but still arrived at the vets with some intrepidation and ready to start bawling if Bailey so much as twitched during the session

Firstly the vet asked me to tell her exactly what it was about Bailey that made me realise he had something wrong. I explained that I had noticed he was a bit slow at coming through the dog flap at the other place, (it was a mobile home and they had to go up some stairs and then through the dog flap), but thought it was just because they had to take it easy, rather than running through on even ground. It was then that I put a copper collar on him, just incase he was becoming arthritic in his old age. Since we moved he hasn't had any trouble with the dog flap, or shown any signs of discomfort until bedtime. Other than the moaning noises he made when he was trying to become comfortable at this time I would never have known there was anything wrong with him. This is why I was so shocked to be told he is riddled with arthritis.

She wrote all this down in a book and then told me that she would examine him again before she started any treatment. She could tell that he has arthritis in his back legs and towards his hips, along his backbone, not actually the hips themselves. I told her that Bailey doesn't wear a collar anymore as I felt this was where is pain is and it almost looked as if it was making his head hang down when he wears one.
She touched the base of his neck and he really jumped, this is where the problem is, not in his legs as she had told me, yes he has got arthritis but it is not bad enough to make him lame, which I did keep telling them. She touched him again, more lightly this time and she said that it has got to be down to him having an injury, it isn't just old age that would effect that area. For the last 3 years I've been at home constantly with them and have never witnessed anything happening to him that would cause such damage, or ever found him laying in pain having had an accident of some sort. She explained that it could be a really old injury that has just become arthritic and there is nothing I could have done to prevent that anyway. I suppose, thinking about it, when they are all charging around together there have been times when different ones have collided with each other. They just pick themselves up and off they go again, I just wonder if it could have happened then and he jarred his neck, I suppose I'll never really know what he did.

As his neck is so tender she said that she wouldn't place any needles in there today as that would be cruel as its so painful for him, she did the surrounding area, his legs, down his back and towards his bottom. He only flinched very slightly at one that went in across his hips, and she had mentioned that he was a bit sore there.

He had 34 needles in total, there was no blood, I was sat in a chair, he had his head in my lap and nodded off a couple of times, so he was obviously very relaxed about it all. I was worried that I'd pass out being so squeamish but there was nothing to it. Anyone that has to have this done in future please don't worry about it, it really is absolutely fine, I would even go so far as to say that I would have it done myself and not be scared

Once she had removed the needles she gave him a gentle massage, I asked if she could teach me how to do it so that I could help him too and she did, I'm to do him once a day, but I'm not to touch his neck incase I damage or hurt him. He really enjoyed the massaging so he won't be any trouble letting me do it to him, mind you, I can do anything to my lot and they love it, even having their ears cleaned last night

He is booked in for Thursday morning for his next session, then she will let me know whether it will be just once a week or what, she seems to think he is quite a severe case because none of the usual medicines worked for him, and that it could take 4 sessions before we see any improvement.

Fingers crossed it will work for him and he can eventually come off the steroids, we'll just have to see how he goes but he seems happy enough in himself and loves going out in the big comfy car with his mummy, just him and mummy is his idea of heaven
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2007, 12:29 PM
Excellent news! Fingers crossed it works well for him.
Becky
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2007, 12:34 PM
Glad the session was positive Sheree - fingers firmly crossed for you.
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2007, 12:35 PM
Oh Sheree, I am so glad Bailey is okay! Fingers crossed that he has a success with the acupuncture and can come off steroids Oh give him a big hug and kiss from me and Jamie!
Love Clare
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2007, 12:35 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
Excellent news! Fingers crossed it works well for him.
Becky
Originally Posted by rachelsetters View Post
Glad the session was positive Sheree - fingers firmly crossed for you.
Thanks ladies, just glad the first one is over so I know what to expect next time
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2007, 12:36 PM
Originally Posted by petticoat74 View Post
Oh Sheree, I am so glad Bailey is okay! Fingers crossed that he has a success with the acupuncture and can come off steroids Oh give him a big hug and kiss from me and Jamie!
Love Clare
Thanks Clare, big hugs and kisses have been firmly planted, he's fast asleep at the moment and didn't even wake up for them
Nicky1979
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-09-2007, 01:02 PM
Oh Sheree,
I'm so pleased to hear that the actupuncture session went well for the lovely Bailey today.
It sounds like the therapist was really good & knowledgable to- even more of a confidence booster for you.

Gentle hugs for Bailey xxx
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2007, 01:06 PM
Originally Posted by Nicky1979 View Post
Oh Sheree,
I'm so pleased to hear that the actupuncture session went well for the lovely Bailey today.
It sounds like the therapist was really good & knowledgable to- even more of a confidence booster for you.

Gentle hugs for Bailey xxx

Thanks Nicky I feel so much better now that she has pinpointed the problem area, I just couldn't get my head round what was going to happen today so I shall be quite happy when we go back on Thursday
Shirleyc
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-09-2007, 01:14 PM
Oh so glad Bailey enjoyed his little masage and acupuncture! Hopefully it will do wonders for him as I know it has done for a lot of my human friends. Hes such a sweet boy and O hope his porrly neck is feeling better soon too.
Well done to you as well Sheree for being brave with the nasty needles (I know I would hate it!)
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2007, 02:29 PM
Originally Posted by Shirleyc View Post
Oh so glad Bailey enjoyed his little masage and acupuncture! Hopefully it will do wonders for him as I know it has done for a lot of my human friends. Hes such a sweet boy and O hope his porrly neck is feeling better soon too.
Well done to you as well Sheree for being brave with the nasty needles (I know I would hate it!)
Thanks very much Shirley
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >