Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2010, 09:11 PM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
God yes!!!! I am a competative person definitely, BUT I am a beginner, my dogs don't always do well, and we haven't enjoyed huge success regularly. We are often beaten by dogs owned by my dog's breeder, and my friends, and others. I don't mind though - it's nice to win sure, but you can be competative in a healthy way. Why is competition seen as a bad thing? I WANT to win, I might not win. I love my dogs either way and we have fun together! I do agility with Rio and she is soooo slow. She's terrible! But we have fun together, doesn't mean I wouldn't like her to go faster though! I wouldn't show them if I had no desire to win though, that's what showing is!!!!
Competition itself is not a bad thing (quite the opposite IMO) and plenty of people enjoy it in a fun manner. But it also often brings out the worst in people - those that are too competitive want to win at all costs and when that happens, the dogs will suffer.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2010, 09:11 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Its not a bad thing at all - especially the way you describe it....but when it starts being more important than the individual dogs it becomes an issue.
agreed. Most people aren't like that though. And it's not just show people. My Mum used to see a woman who had a BC that did competative obedience. Poor ****** wasn't allowed any time off and wasn't allowed to even sniff the ground. She would turn up at the park, do half and hour's training then take it home. If it dared to put nose to the ground or look in the direction of another dog it would be bellowed at 'YOU ARE WORKING!!!!'

Consequently for years my Mum assumed that all obedience dogs were treated this way. It's the same with show dogs, and breeding dogs, people see a bad example and cling to it.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2010, 09:14 PM
Yep - but the dog would still be here if it didn't - and it would be treated the same and loved just as much.
Thats if it lived with you and you chose to do that. Id not personally want to leave dogs at home all day while I took others to a show, and they be on their own all the time, you may not have a problem with that, I would. A "companion" animal, Id rather the dog have company all the time if possible.

The word...as you so rightly said in a previous post Dawn...with this attitude - they are not dogs they are 'stock'.
To many yes they are, its also a common word for ones kennel, their "stock" is a common term used.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2010, 09:22 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
To many yes they are, its also a common word for ones kennel, their "stock" is a common term used.
i hate when people refer to dogs as 'stock'...
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2010, 09:25 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
Do you? Doesnt really bother me as long as they are cared for.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2010, 09:27 PM
'stock' i can deal with.... its whan they are called 'it' it bugs me
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-01-2010, 09:29 PM
it doesn’t have to be competive, sure winning is great but I would rather have fun… I cant have fun when im competitive coz I get too worked up and anxious… that just isn’t fun for me. so when I start agility with jake, it will be for the fun and the experience of me and jake working together. If we win, then great! I will be overjoyed, but fun is the most important thing for me. and i think many others enjoy the fun of it, rather than just wanting to win.

Life is competitive, the human race is competitive, you are going to start agility, its competitive and well as fun...when you are running Jake through a course, you will be running him against the other dog, to see who gets the quickest time.

If you dont and are there just for the fun of it, you wont be very popular with the other competitors

When ever you compete against another, you are competitive

that is great that people treat their show dogs like that, but it is not right to just get rid of them, when they are no longer of use. the owner, IMHO cannot have love or respect for their dog if they will do such a thing.

So to show their love and respect for their dogs, they had better keep all the dogs they no longer show, keep them in kennels because they will have to many, the dogs will probably live a boring life, being left at home in the kennel when they owners are away showing,

But thats better than being re homed to a one to one home where the dog will take on the persona of a "pet" mmmmmm, yep at least this way the owner/breeder can say, I love my dogs!!

You need to realise, ALL dogs are not simply pets to ALL people..it does not make them a worse owner than you or I who looks at them differently.

Infact its rather patronising to take the view, if they dont do as you do, they are not dog lovers
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

21-01-2010, 09:34 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear
Why ?? what they are referred to does not mean they are not well cared for,.

Does the dog hate being called stock, I doubt it.

Do you hate it when cows or sheep are called stock,, its a name nothing more.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2010, 09:36 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Do you? Doesnt really bother me as long as they are cared for.
I suppose thats what it really comes down to....when you think of animals as Stock, they are there to do a job for you - be it provide food or income...or fun and prestige in this case, You care for them to the extent that you need them to be fit and healthy and understand what is required of them....but that is as far as it goes......I guess I have issues with dogs being treated this way due to the way the the relationships form between dogs and people.

I guess its not the same for everyone - but the bond with my guys is very deep - it goes much further than them just being there to win prestige or serve the next generation - it is a relationship built on trust and understanding that we both gain from - I just can't imagine wanting to give that up after x number of years, its hard enough that the life span is so much shorter than ours.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

21-01-2010, 09:44 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
'stock' i can deal with.... its whan they are called 'it' it bugs me

Yep, and me,

I suppose thats what it really comes down to....when you think of animals as Stock, they are there to do a job for you - be it provide food or income...or Fun in this case, You care for them to the extent that you need them to be fit and healthy and understand what is required of them....but that is as far as it goes......I guess I have issues with dogs being treated this way due to the way the the relationships form between dogs and people.

I guess its not the same for everyone - but the bond with my guys is very deep - it goes much further than them just being there to win prestige or serve the next generation - it is a relationship built on trust and understanding that we both gain from - I just can't imagine wanting to give that up after x number of years, its hard enough that the life span is so much shorter than ours.

Exactly, thats the whole point, dogs and any other animal will not mean the same to everyone.

Its not how people see them or for what reasons they keep them, its down to how they are treated.

My dogs are my life, I showed a bit, they are family, I would never part with them.......but, I have no problem understanding the fact others may see them in a different light.

I dont presume, that my way is the only way, and anyone who does it differently is not a "dog lover".
Page 19 of 41 « First < 9 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 29 > Last »