Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

16-09-2008, 05:51 PM

Fleas again - advice wanted

The dogs have fleas again

Fingal and Breagh are both scratching and nibbling like crazy and they've both developed sore patches. I know Skye must have them too but he seems unfazed by them.

I know it's been discussed many times before but I want some advice on the best course of treatment / products.

I also need to consider that Karen's pregnant (due any time) and that there will be a baby about.

Thanks
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2008, 05:57 PM
Are you sure it is fleas , are the sore patches on their bodies or just on their feet ?
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

16-09-2008, 06:21 PM
Yes it's fleas- found quite a few on Fingal, they're harder to find on Breagh's black coat though.
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2008, 06:31 PM
Maybe they have a flea allergy too. Advocate or Advantage are good. Especially Advocate as it covers not just fleas but mange amongst other thing. You can buy a lot online but I don't find them much cheaper than from the vets and also some are not as effective.
It's also a good idea to give them Program tablets in conjunction with flea drops once a month. It stops fleas from multiplying should they catch a flea. It also treats flea allergy dermatitis really well.
Get a good flea house spray from the vets as well and spray everywhere. Make sure your wife is out of the house first and keep her out for at least 2 hours. Also don't let her touch the dogs until their drops are dry. Acclaim is good. A large can will cost you £12 but does the whole house and more and the effects last 12 months.
Good luck.
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2008, 06:35 PM
Tea tree baths can work, but the the main thing is to treat the house and the dogs together, vacuum the house through and treat the carpets with a good household flea spray (Keep Karen out for a full day though)... plan to do it on a weekend or when you are going to be out of the house for a while...

Keeping the fleas off the dogs is the easy bit...

keeping them out of the house is the tricky part.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2008, 06:38 PM
your vet should be able to give you a good spray for getting rid of them in the house, my vet gave me one that lasts for ages after you use it, but I would check that its ok with him re: karen being pregnant and so on x
Mcpherson
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-09-2008, 08:01 PM
I think Frontline is the best flea treatment around. We never used to be able to get rid of them before we discovered it. I am almost positive it's safe around pregnant women but am sure it will say on their home page.
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

17-09-2008, 12:45 AM
Originally Posted by zoe1969 View Post
Maybe they have a flea allergy too. Advocate or Advantage are good. Especially Advocate as it covers not just fleas but mange amongst other thing. You can buy a lot online but I don't find them much cheaper than from the vets and also some are not as effective.
It's also a good idea to give them Program tablets in conjunction with flea drops once a month. It stops fleas from multiplying should they catch a flea. It also treats flea allergy dermatitis really well.
Get a good flea house spray from the vets as well and spray everywhere. Make sure your wife is out of the house first and keep her out for at least 2 hours. Also don't let her touch the dogs until their drops are dry. Acclaim is good. A large can will cost you £12 but does the whole house and more and the effects last 12 months.
Good luck.
Originally Posted by magpye View Post
Tea tree baths can work, but the the main thing is to treat the house and the dogs together, vacuum the house through and treat the carpets with a good household flea spray (Keep Karen out for a full day though)... plan to do it on a weekend or when you are going to be out of the house for a while...

Keeping the fleas off the dogs is the easy bit...

keeping them out of the house is the tricky part.
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
your vet should be able to give you a good spray for getting rid of them in the house, my vet gave me one that lasts for ages after you use it, but I would check that its ok with him re: karen being pregnant and so on x
Originally Posted by Mcpherson View Post
I think Frontline is the best flea treatment around. We never used to be able to get rid of them before we discovered it. I am almost positive it's safe around pregnant women but am sure it will say on their home page.
Thanks for the help.

Karen's also had some feedback from dog owners on her big bellied forums.

Frontline (and similar) just say I should send K packing for a few hours when I spray the house and to keep her away from the dogs following treatment to the dogs.

I'll hold fire just now as I'm going to pop to the vet tomorrow anyway - I'll take Fingal and Breagh so she can at least look at their scabby bits.

When I administer the treatment - I'll see if Karen fancies going outside to cut the grass and weed the patio.
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2008, 03:47 AM
Just to say dont forget the cats

Best wishes to Karen

Jeanette
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2008, 09:42 AM
Yeah get her working might bring that lazy boy sooner lol x