Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-11-2005, 03:30 PM

"War of the Worlds" DVD, again!

I fell for the title (I like H G Wells!) and the Steven Spielberg name, and ordered the DVD from Play.com

When it arrived, Mrs S and I lit the fire, got nice and warm, and stuck the disc in the player - which runs via the stereo amplifier - all set for two hours of good viewing. We needn't have bothered: it was two hours of disappointing crap.

The original story doesn't contain very much in the way of dialogue, which is why the producers added two unnecessary kids. They'd have been better being fed to the Martians as a placatory sacrifice, because the boy is a typically uncommunicative teenager who needs his backside skelped, and Dakota Fanning just runs around screaming and not listening. Her character ought to have been the first target - within two minutes, I was itching to shoot her! She was quite good as the hostage kid in "Man on Fire" (almost sorry for her!), but in WOTW, all she does is scream, like a female version of the dreadful Culkin-thing.

The effects are, as you'd expect, almost stunning, but they don't compensate for the lack of substance. Bring back the 1953 version!

Snorri
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-11-2005, 09:01 AM
I have to agree wholeheartedly with ya Snorri! I disliked the remake also.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2005, 09:06 AM
I didn;t think it was "too" bad, the special effects made up for the thin plot
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-11-2005, 10:25 AM
It would of been better if they had stuck to the original plot and not changed it like they did FX were good as they all now with cgi and the rest but like the others have said thin plot made better with the FX's.

Orginal was LOADs better
mand p
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2005, 10:33 AM
I agree Snorri...I'm sorry but I thought it was terrible (apart from the special effects..they were really good ) i felt that as usual, it had been too Americanised and didn't stick to the story. I love the original book soundtrack and film. It just didn't cut it imho
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2005, 10:36 AM
We thought it was pretty crap too!
hunnybaby1232000
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-11-2005, 10:57 AM
Oh dear i must be the only one that loved it
i was gripped form the beginning however i did think it ended a little too soon.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Duck, before i get wallopped>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2005, 11:14 AM
Originally Posted by hunnybaby1232000
Oh dear i must be the only one that loved it
i was gripped form the beginning however i did think it ended a little too soon.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Duck, before i get wallopped>>>>>>>>>>>>>
No, you're not - I quite enjoyed it
Yorkie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-11-2005, 12:22 PM
After never seeing the original but hearing loads about it me and my OH went to see WOTW at the cinema and i found it totally boring. The special effects were good but for me its the storyline that makes a film I'm not interested in OTT effects... I also find the fact that Tom Cruises character and his kids survive this when hardly anyone else does completely laughable

Needless to say this DVD will not be on my christmas list!