View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
neonlitdaydream
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-11-2011, 12:50 PM

Toilet training a puppy used to puppy pads...

For the past 3 week's I have started to re toilet train Coco(7months)
Up until then Coco was going relaibly in her litter tray... yes I know...I stupidly thought that would be the long term solution to being too lazy to take her out to go toilet(please I know I made a big mistake there and trust me I' dealing with the concequence's now!)

I would really appreciate some feed back as to the method's I have been doing and if I will get results this way...
What I have been doing is:
-Crating coco when I am not home(which is a shame since she is so relaible in the house...apart from the toilet factor)
-Crating coco at night.
-Going toilet first thing in the morning,last thing at night,watching her closely and taking her out as soon as I notice signs.
-rewarding "toilet" outside with treat's and pet's
-ignoring accident's inside(apart from a "ohh nooo coco!" which is accidental)

If you could add anything to that list that would help her be more relaible that would be great!
I don't need to be told what I mistake I made with keeping her puppypad's around for so long(I know I know *slaps wrist*) I however would be intrested to know what people thing would be the best way to dealing with this situation and wether she has been using them for too long for this to work.I have taking her toilet away completly since starting this.

Thank you...and please...help
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2011, 01:05 PM
Could you not gradually move the 'litter box' closer and closer to the door, before moving it outside and then putting the puppy pads where you want her to go...............

When she is outside on the puppy pad reliably, you can start cutting the pads in half, in quarters, till there is barely a puppy pad left for her to use, before taking it away totally....

Just an idea?
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2011, 01:08 PM
I'd do it the same way I would if she were a very young pup to be honest. Take her out very regularly, don't give her the freedom to wander out of sight (closed doors, tethered to me, crated etc) and super rewards whenever she gets it right.
neonlitdaydream
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-11-2011, 01:28 PM
Originally Posted by MarchHound View Post
Could you not gradually move the 'litter box' closer and closer to the door, before moving it outside and then putting the puppy pads where you want her to go...............

When she is outside on the puppy pad reliably, you can start cutting the pads in half, in quarters, till there is barely a puppy pad left for her to use, before taking it away totally....

Just an idea?
I did try this orginally but I felt like it was just confusing her even.more.Thought a clean cut would be the best,so there is no option in the house for her.Also I was using a litterbox style box and I love in flats so it would be a bit tricky to be going up and down with a box of wee and a pup
Thank you though!
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2011, 04:57 PM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
I'd do it the same way I would if she were a very young pup to be honest. Take her out very regularly, don't give her the freedom to wander out of sight (closed doors, tethered to me, crated etc) and super rewards whenever she gets it right.
I agree! I'm not sure from your post how often she goes out a day, but would be taking her out at least 6 times to give her the opportunity to toilet. If she does toilet, give her some time to run free - otherwise tether or crate her (or watch carefully). The idea is to make sure she doesnt have a full bladder/bowel when when she is un-attended so there is no room for her to make a mistake.

Also when you clean the toilet use a proper pet safe enzyme cleaner as normal disinfectants do not clean it properly, leaving some scent behind (from the dogs POV)

Also, when she does go outside, add a word as she is doing it - in the future this can be useful for getting a dog to toilet on cue. My dog is also in a flat but I take her out around 4 times a day and she toilets on cue. :