Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

10-01-2011, 09:28 AM
Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
I know, me too. But they should offer to assess, listen to all that has happened, as they do anyway before taking on a dog. We do, for dogs in these situations, and we do also advise to pts.
Hopefully somewhere someone will.

But the rescues are struggling I beleive so sadly it may not be the case. I think a breed specific rescue if they could find one would be a better option I think they try to give the breed they love a second chance and hope that in most cases the dog has been misunderstood which most times it has. If of course it is very ill or does have temperament issues at least you know it will of been pts for all the right reasons.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2011, 09:28 AM
Jackbox - I said "I" as although my friend asked for help, she doesn't really know what help. She's flipping around from rescue to no he's to bad to call a dog trainer to no PTS. She doesn't know what to do. I am trying to arrange an assessment as she can't make a decision, so I suppose from that perspective, it is partly me.

I know, a lot of what you says rings true Lynn and I know it's probably hopeless. He definately needs a fresh start if there was any hope. But you can't blame me for trying. if a rescue agrees PTS then so be it. My friend is feeling guilty, at least a proper opinion first would confirm she was doing the right thing and ease that guilt.

So sad She won't ring my dog trainer now, she wants to visit the vet first. From what I gather she is taking Turbo to the vets this morning for advice. I agree he needs to go to get his skin checked. Depending on what the vet says she said she'll call the dog trainer when she gets back. I think it's the wrong way around as I can see a knee jerk PTS happening at the vets today, but she's insistant that this is they way she'll do it and I can't do much more.
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2011, 09:30 AM
The vet will pts I think

Only one in a million will try to help with finding proper help
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2011, 09:33 AM
How long has he been on the steroids, they can make dogs do funny things around food, when millie was on them she changed dramatically around food, she is on Atopica now which does the same job without these types of side affects, just a thought
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2011, 09:34 AM
I know I tried
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

10-01-2011, 09:35 AM
Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
Jackbox - I said "I" as although my friend asked for help, she doesn't really know what help. She's flipping around from rescue to no he's to bad to call a dog trainer to no PTS. She doesn't know what to do. I am trying to arrange an assessment as she can't make a decision, so I suppose from that perspective, it is partly me.

I know, a lot of what you says rings true Lynn and I know it's probably hopeless. He definately needs a fresh start if there was any hope. But you can't blame me for trying. if a rescue agrees PTS then so be it. My friend is feeling guilty, at least a proper opinion first would confirm she was doing the right thing and ease that guilt.

So sad She won't ring my dog trainer now, she wants to visit the vet first. From what I gather she is taking Turbo to the vets this morning for advice. I agree he needs to go to get his skin checked. Depending on what the vet says she said she'll call the dog trainer when she gets back. I think it's the wrong way around as I can see a knee jerk PTS happening at the vets today, but she's insistant that this is they way she'll do it and I can't do much more.
Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
The vet will pts I think

Only one in a million will try to help with finding proper help
I agree I think a trainer who knows what they are doing or a breed specific rescue would be a better first option but if your friend is so confused and her loyalties are probably torn at the moment between her dad and the dog she may well end up doing what we think is possibly wrong but it does have to be her decision and her parents at the end of the day even if we think it may well be the wrong one without an assessment.

You have done your best trying to get her to look at this from a different point of view you can do no more than that.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2011, 09:36 AM
Do you know what vet they're using? Could she at least be convinced to go to a top notch vet? I know there's a vet in Twickenham who comes well recommended on the rabbit forum I was on and I'm pretty sure Rescue Remedies uses them too so they may have a bit more experience in Bull breeds, difficult cases, etc. - think this is the one (Christabel is the vet I've heard recommended a lot)
http://www.any-uk-vet.co.uk/twickenham/index.htm
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2011, 09:40 AM
Thanks Lizzy, I'll tell her about it so she can discuss it with the vet.

Thanks for the link Karly but she already has the appointment booked. I don't know where she's going but if I can't convince her to phone my trainer I highly doubt I can convince her to change her vet at short notice

She's going at 11am, I'll keep you all updated.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2011, 10:07 AM
However many assessments are done on this dog the fact remains that he has bitten. No rescue can risk taking on a dog known to bite and then rehoming it without letting the new owners know. Which is why responsible rescues won't do it.

With the best will in the world an assessment means nothing unless you can totally replicate the situation he bit in.

I am afraid I think the sensible thing to do would be to pts the dog before it does more damage.

I know that will not be a popular answer but in the circumstances as told I think it is the only one.

rune
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2011, 10:15 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
However many assessments are done on this dog the fact remains that he has bitten. No rescue can risk taking on a dog known to bite and then rehoming it without letting the new owners know. Which is why responsible rescues won't do it.

With the best will in the world an assessment means nothing unless you can totally replicate the situation he bit in.

I am afraid I think the sensible thing to do would be to pts the dog before it does more damage.

I know that will not be a popular answer but in the circumstances as told I think it is the only one.

rune
From what we have been told I agree with the above, as sad as it is and as wrong as it is, that is the truth of the matter.
The owners have let this dog down and the dog will pay the price for that, it is a truly sad situation.
I admire you trying to help Moons mum, in no way am I saying you are wrong for trying to help, it is just one of those situations that we would like the human error to not end a dogs life which happens to often.
xxxx
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >