Our sister sites
Our sister sites
pcoleman
New Member!
Male 

04-11-2009, 01:24 PM

new novice with mad collie 'X'

Hi all, hope you might be able to help.
I have an adorable Collie 'X' , other half maybe a spaniel or setter due to markings, but she has is just made for fun.
She is about 4 1/2 months old, we have her about 2 months. But when walking on a lead she pulls ahead hard, trying to get there quicker, particulary when she realises she is near home. W e were using the standard coller but we have changed to the harness type. Is this the norm, i'm not sure if it's the right thing to do but I try and restrict her by pulling back on the lead. how can i train her to stop.
Also when i bring her anywhere in the car she starts to whimper, no matter how short the distance, will she grow out of this. Thanks uin advance for your help.
P
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2009, 01:36 PM

jake used to pull something awful, so now i use the halti harness. he still pulls but a lot less than he used to and its easier to control him.
Natalia_leigh
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-11-2009, 01:37 PM
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2009, 03:20 PM
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2009, 03:58 PM
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2009, 05:23 PM
I don't see a problem in using a training aid. That is what they are there for after all. They are not a permanent solution to the problem, but designed to help you gain better control of your dog in conjunction with good training. The idea is that, in most cases, the dog is weaned off them eventually.

I use a Halti Harness for my stubborn-as-a-mule Slovak. She is a bit older than your dog at 5 1/2 months but we are slowly making progress each week.

As for the whining in the car, it is normal. Just keep taking her out in it for short trips every day. Drive to some of her local walks so that she associates the car with something pleasurable.