Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-07-2005, 09:48 PM
Originally Posted by Hoggett
Well done Snorri, I wish I had that fire, just looking at it has warmed me up! I have gas, it's ok but as soon as you turn it off the house is cold again. And quite frankly it's too expensive to use like that.

Ian
Not quite the gadget it appears to be, I'm afraid! We don't have any option! No mains gas in this benighted place, and the coal ain't that cheap either! This stove heats the water, runs the c/h and looks pretty, not much more! Plus, of course, with mains gas, you don't have to scrape the ruddy thing out every morning, cram it with rolled up paper, sticks and coal. Also, you have no control over the water temperature - the domestic hw can actually BOIL in the tank!

Fine if there's a power cut, though!

The dogs think it's theirs, exclusively!

Snorri
Hoggett
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-07-2005, 09:53 PM
Originally Posted by Snorri the Priest
Not quite the gadget it appears to be, I'm afraid! We don't have any option! No mains gas in this benighted place, and the coal ain't that cheap either! This stove heats the water, runs the c/h and looks pretty, not much more! Plus, of course, with mains gas, you don't have to scrape the ruddy thing out every morning, cram it with rolled up paper, sticks and coal. Also, you have no control over the water temperature - the domestic hw can actually BOIL in the tank!

Fine if there's a power cut, though!

The dogs think it's theirs, exclusively!

Snorri
Yes I understand we used to have a coal fire, getting up in the early morning, freezing, ice on the inside of the windows, trying to get the b****y thing to go......what memories.......still would like it back though.

On the point of the water boiling, we used to often have that happen, we would have to drain a bit water off, but you couldn't touch the tap, it was red hot. Also we used to have a back to back oven (the fire heated a oven at the back of the fire which was in the kitchen) One year at christmas dad built such a good fire to roast the turkey that the hot plates were actually glowing red!

Ian
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-07-2005, 10:02 PM
Unfortunately, Ian, I'm ancient enough to remember those days, too! When the water boils, we turn on the c/h, which sends it on a grand tour of the house, clanking radiators and all! The place has a tendency to get too hot then (for me, anyway), and the windows steam up! We have a bottled-gas cooker, and when that is on, it gets unbearable - so much so that Kali demands a trip out into the garden. The walls here are about five feet thick, so when it gets warm, it stays warm.

The cure? A bucket of snow with a bottle of homebrewed lager in it! Wahey!

Snorri
(hot stuff )
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2005, 10:04 PM
well done snorri
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-07-2005, 10:06 PM
well done Snorri :smt038 :smt038 :smt038
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2005, 10:23 PM
Congratulations Snorri and well done on getting your second green square
Natasha
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2005, 12:13 AM
Very weldone snorri!!!
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-07-2005, 06:53 AM
Congratulations Snorri
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-07-2005, 07:23 AM
Well done Snorri Another hard-done-by BC I see
Moli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2005, 07:34 AM
Congratulations Snorri, well done..deserved...
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >