Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2008, 02:55 PM

dog groomer - qualifications

i was going to doa dog grooming course - but what qualifications do i need to be professional??

i clipped and cut nick yesterday (bc) and he looks fab! (i know biased!) - but mum took him out today and she got this bloke saying how fab he looked and can i do his dog - he said he would pay me which i thanked him and will not take the payment - i just want the experience

on nick, i didnt bath him because he really hates it - on this other dog i would, brush, bath then dry etc - comb/brush and then clip/trim

i am doing dog grooming atm with my college (part of the course) and i love it lol! dosent give me an official qualification but its enjoyable....

so guys - what qualifications do i need and what equipment do i need??

also - if i dont take money - just get the experience is it ok to groom other peoples dogs??

thanks
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2008, 06:58 PM
You don't need any qualifications to do dog grooming but I would strongly suggest you do a course with a City & Guilds qualified teacher. It wont be cheap but if that is the way you want to go then go for it.
Becky
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2008, 10:02 PM
thank you

just looked - its 2500!!

haev to wait until next year - until then i will keep practising - feel sorry for our dogs
DippyLeo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

31-01-2008, 05:17 PM
Have you looked at local authority colleges? I did my grooming Course under a C&G qualified groomer as a part time course, granted it took 18mths to complete with being in term time with holidays etc but was a lot cheaper and those who need it can apply for assistance in paying for it. I would have dearly loved to have done an intensive course but the costs were too high for me so I just went on to the Ask Jeeves Website and put in Dog Grooming courses and it came up with quite a few places including where I trained
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2008, 05:26 PM
I did an extensive training course at Look North at Keighley, it lasted four weeks and cost £2500, but I also go t a grooming kit with scissors and clippers. Was worth every penny as I needed to get going asap, I'd spent a fortune on a bath, electric table and dryer/blaster. Good Luck xx