View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
inneedofhelp
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-03-2006, 09:16 PM

How can I stop him trashing the house? (Destructive behaviour when left alone)

hi there i need some infor kahn has now started trashing the house again when i am out at work. i think its cause molly is coming into season but i cant be sure. also i was told that my puppies look like cross breeds how can i make kahn more stocky to look proper
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-03-2006, 06:47 AM
If your bitch is coming into season and your dog is not castrated, the first thing you must do is to keep them completely separate for four weeks from day one of her season.

How long are the dogs left alone? If Kahn is 'trashing' the house make sure that everything moveable (papers, books, clothing, etc.) is out of his reach. His destructiveness may be boredom-related. How much physical exercise and mental stimulation do you provide? A stuffed Kong may give him something to occupy his mind. A treat ball can do the same - but be sure that it is a good quality one as 'chewing' dogs have been known to get a tooth stuck in them. Also, if the dogs are alone together then boredom-busting food items may not be a good idea. Bitter spray may help if he is chewing furniture.

Crate training may be the solution to the problem. How old is Khan now?

Khan's age will have relevance to his development. If he has adequate exercise and a good diet I would doubt that there is any need to try to beef him up. In any case, if he has any sort of cross in his background this may come through in size and musculature. If you are happy that he is getting the correct exercise & food then I would not worry at all about what other people may think
inneedofhelp
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-03-2006, 07:54 AM
molly isnt due into season just yet but it happens ages its her hormones that spill everywere, kahn is about 15 months now he is crate trained but all he does is howell if i leave him there, food wise he is on a mix of dried in the morning and wet at night, i have to leave him for about 4 hours in the day cause i have to go to work, i have left him in the hall way before when i have gone out for an hour, and i anyone comes kear the front door he just cries for atention, so i end up arguing with my neighbours.
i must admit he could get more exercise i suppose and toys if i get toys kahn quite happily plays with them molly is the one who sits there snatches them away from him, she is quite selfish and there is always a tug of war match going on.
he also isnt going to the toilet very well he used to go and have quite big poos but now he doesnt seem to want it, do you think this could contribute to kahn needing the toilet or not clearing himself out?
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-03-2006, 08:46 AM
I think that if you ensure that he has adequate exercise, plus mental stimulation in the form of training and 'thinking' games, that will dissipate some of his pent-up energy and he will be calmer. If he is howling in his crate then you need to go back to basics and re-train.

Do the dogs have free access to the house and each other when alone? If so I would not leave any toys about that may possibly cause disagreement.

Perhaps you could post any health-related queries in the 'Health' section of Dogweb where they are more likely to come to the attention of people who might help you Any serious worries should, of course, be discussed with your vet
Saz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2006, 08:53 AM
If Kahn is not of Stocky Type, then he won't be stocky without being over weight