Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-03-2011, 07:09 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Yes he sounds like he was careless..but my dogs are never,ever allowed to come to the front door with me, they are behind a gate or a closed door. It's not worth the risk.
Thorgeir did not come to the door with me. The postman came into the house and left all the doors open.

Snorri
Mese
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-03-2011, 07:10 PM
Im glad he is back safe

Steve messed around with our garden gate to make sure that it automatically swung shut every time someone came through it ..... im not sure what he did , Im guessing it has to do with a spring though , lol
twilightwolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-03-2011, 08:33 PM
i had a parcel put in my wheely bin before... they then closed the lid and put a note through my letterbox to say we were out, but our parcel was safe - in the bin!

Now.. ok great its not going to get wet. But what if i had been on holiday or away for the night, and a neighbour put my wheely bin out which they do! -_-
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 07:48 AM
I still cannot get my head around this - the postman entered your home (something they don't have to do BTW) and left doors open - you are lucky round here if they come into the block of flats and don't expect us to run down the stairs to collect parcels. It really does sound like he is trying his best but just doesn't understand the importance of closing the doors after him. A quiet chat with him next time he comes surely is more appropriate than wanting him to lose his job.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 10:14 AM
I still cannot get my head around this - the postman entered your home
Mine opens the door and puts parcels in the hallway. He's never left the door open though thankfully.

I'm glad Thorgeir is safe.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-03-2011, 10:33 AM
Originally Posted by Snorri the Priest View Post
Today, I received a "trackable" parcel via Royal Mail. Five minuyts after he delivered it, the postie came back, as he'd forgotten to "scan" it. Did he shut the garden gate ? No. Did he shut the door? No. And what did he do as Thorgeir ran past him, out of the house, and out of the gate? Nothing. Did the SSPCA do anything? No. And the police? Nothing. Finally, my carer went out in his car and found him, being tormented by a bunch of kids. He had been missing for almost an hour.

Of course, the postman denies any part in it. I have complained to his management, and, apparently, he is known for this sort of carelessness. No doubt he'll get talked at (which has done no good in the past, but I want him sacked.

At least I have Thorgeir back, apparently unharmed.

Snorri
From some of these replies, it appears that aspects of the OP have not been understood.

1, I do have a letterbox: this was a parcel.

2. This was not an attempt to deliver; it was an attempt to correct an earlier error.

3. I do have an inner door: he left it open, too.

He should be sacked, because clearly, he cannot do the job.

It was only luck that my Thorgeir wasn't killed. Then the sod tried to lie about it, saying that Thorgeir had jumped the gate.
I SAW him leave the gate open.

Stupid and careless.

Snorri
From what you say the postie left the gates open on the way "in" to your home, not on his way "out" and Thor ran out as the postie opened your door.

Cant see why you would want the bloke to loose his income, but at least you have Thor back safely, maybe put a notice on your doors and gate, that you have a dog that will "run out" if any gates/doors are left open, and politely ask (on notice) to close ALL doors /gates coming in or out.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-03-2011, 03:30 PM
Today, I received a "trackable" parcel via Royal Mail. Five minuyts after he delivered it, the postie came back, as he'd forgotten to "scan" it. Did he shut the garden gate ? No. Did he shut the door? No. And what did he do as Thorgeir ran past him, out of the house, and out of the gate? Nothing. Did the SSPCA do anything? No. And the police? Nothing. Finally, my carer went out in his car and found him, being tormented by a bunch of kids. He had been missing for almost an hour.

Of course, the postman denies any part in it. I have complained to his management, and, apparently, he is known for this sort of carelessness. No doubt he'll get talked at (which has done no good in the past, but I want him sacked.

At least I have Thorgeir back, apparently unharmed.

Snorri
From some of these replies, it appears that aspects of the OP have not been understood.

1, I do have a letterbox: this was a parcel.

2. This was not an attempt to deliver; it was an attempt to correct an earlier error.

3. I do have an inner door: he left it open, too.

He should be sacked, because clearly, he cannot do the job.

Snorri
Of course, their is always the possibility that we would not be able to understand aspects of a post that were not made clear in the first place
I have quoted your OP above this latest posted version, I'm sure you will agree their is bit of a difference between both

That said, Im still not getting the person just walking into your house thing....you must have some rare breeds of postie up in the islands

Im also still not getting why the taking away of the man's job is a necessity where a disciplinary would do....under the circumstances, that smacks of revenge, not justice, to me
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 04:13 PM
Ok, Snorri is wheelchair bound, and lives in the Orkney Islands. It is entirely reasonable for the Postie to become accustomed to coming in to deliver anything if they know the situation, it's easier for a postie to come in than for Snorri to get to the door (sorry if I'm offending Snorri, but just saying it as I see it).

What I don't get is living in Orkney in the middle of winter why oh why would the postie leave the doors open, any of them! Jeez, it's ruddy baltic here never mind Orkney, common courtesy would tell you to shut a door when you come into the house.

Not only that, regardless of whether the fella is coming in or going out, surely shutting a gate is a matter of seconds, shutting a door is common courtesy to say nothing of at least admitting you were in the wrong if you did leave said doors/gates open.

This postie has been warned from what Snorri has said and should have at least some form of proper disciplinary action taken, it may be only a door or gate, but what if a dog gets killed next time. The postie has to be made to realise that his lazy actions have consequences.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-03-2011, 08:16 PM
Originally Posted by lore View Post
Ok, Snorri is wheelchair bound, and lives in the Orkney Islands. It is entirely reasonable for the Postie to become accustomed to coming in to deliver anything if they know the situation, it's easier for a postie to come in than for Snorri to get to the door (sorry if I'm offending Snorri, but just saying it as I see it).

What I don't get is living in Orkney in the middle of winter why oh why would the postie leave the doors open, any of them! Jeez, it's ruddy baltic here never mind Orkney, common courtesy would tell you to shut a door when you come into the house.

Not only that, regardless of whether the fella is coming in or going out, surely shutting a gate is a matter of seconds, shutting a door is common courtesy to say nothing of at least admitting you were in the wrong if you did leave said doors/gates open.

This postie has been warned from what Snorri has said and should have at least some form of proper disciplinary action taken, it may be only a door or gate, but what if a dog gets killed next time. The postie has to be made to realise that his lazy actions have consequences.
I can see why the postie came thru the door now, though that does kind of imply he isnt all bad, as he was being helpful in that sense, which ought to be taken into consideration.
I can agree that his lazy inconsiderate behaviour is awful for endangering Snorri's dog, and he sounds like he is due a disciplinary, but to call to take away his livelihood would be a bit of an over-reaction once all the factors are taken into consideration, and just would not be human.
No more human than the posties own behaviour, really.

I knew snorri used a wheel chair btw, I just regarded him an ordinary man the same i would anyone when making similar points.
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2011, 08:30 PM
It shouldn't matter the age, situation or circumstance of anyone. If a door/gate is shut when entering someones home/land then it should be shut after entering and again on leaving, unless instructed otherwise, it's not rocket science or anything but common sense, awareness.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >