Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
astle9
Dogsey Senior
Male 

03-08-2010, 06:40 AM

You have seen the programme now the answers please

What is to be done, what needs to be done, licences for breeders of all dogs, the taxman to chase anyone selling dogs, no dogs to be bred from private residences of any amount of litters unless licensed for breeding and listed as a business.
What is the answer?
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2010, 06:45 AM
i don'y know, all of the above would be great, but how do you police it, there are'nt the resources available, local authorities are stretched as it is, and the ppeople doing this just don't care anyway
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2010, 07:22 AM
Maybe a license to own dogs---not one for each dog as that would work against people who have a lot of dogs.

One you could either carry with you or be asked to produce within a week to your local police station---much like a drivers license.

No 'testing' in order to have the license and fines for first offences to allow for mistakes. Not needed if you live alone and are over a certain age-----but like a tv licence you still have to register for one.

Would have to be enough to put some people off but not too much too put off good homes who might be a bit stretched for cash.

However I still think this would only be the tip of the iceberg if that.

Otherwise I just don't know---any system is going to knock the responsible owners and the others won't bother and won't care.

rune
MichaelM
Dogsey Senior
Male 

03-08-2010, 07:35 AM
John Rogerson has some interesting thoughts: the neutering campaign has failed, responsible dog owners do neuter their dogs - so who's left? price of a dog is too high. (also trainers - like him - are teaching the wrong things.)

Whether he's right or wrong, and whether or not it would work if he had his way I don't know, but it left me wondering. (It's not a direct response to last night's programme, was posted some time back.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1s850_3s0C8

I don't agree with licensing - I've got three dogs, all chipped, all insured, I think education is the way. Then again, some people just shouldn't be allowed to have dogs -but that's prjudicial.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

How about this

Its illegal to sell a dog, all dogs are now FOC

Rescues MUST be a registered charity & can accept a charitable Donation for a rescue dog

If you are caught selling a dog , you get Fined, Dunno say £1000.

Good breeders will still breed to show etc, but its a hobby, so its at their own expense. & they arent in it for the money anyway.

BYB puppy farms etc will simply just cease

There will be less dogs generally & the rescues will be more popular, & gradually get less & less
astle9
Dogsey Senior
Male 

what about the breeders though, should they not be as responsible for life for every dog they sell, the amount of money the tax man is missing out on per dog from backyard breeders must be huge at over a grand per litter or more.
It is too easy to breed dogs and openly advertise for sale and then not declare the money as income, hit them in the pocket for me would help to go some way.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2010, 07:37 AM
Originally Posted by astle9 View Post
what about the breeders though, should they not be as responsible for life for every dog they sell, the amount of money the tax man is missing out on per dog from backyard breeders must be huge at over a grand per litter or more.
It is too easy to breed dogs and openly advertise for sale and then not declare the money as income, hit them in the pocket for me would help to go some way.
Youll love my Ansa!!!!
astle9
Dogsey Senior
Male 

03-08-2010, 07:37 AM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
How about this

Its illegal to sell a dog, all dogs are now FOC

Rescues MUST be a registered charity & can accept a charitable Donation for a rescue dog

If you are caught selling a dog , you get Fined, Dunno say £1000.

Good breeders will still breed to show etc, but its a hobby, so its at their own expense. & they arent in it for the money anyway.

BYB puppy farms etc will simply just cease

There will be less dogs generally & the rescues will be more popular, & gradually get less & less
Now those are good ideas.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2010, 07:38 AM
Originally Posted by astle9 View Post
Now those are good ideas.
I told you! lol. & the Fines go to rescue
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2010, 07:39 AM
After all, you arent allowed to sell childern or people & that works (mainely)
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »