Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hammer
Dogsey Senior
Male 

06-04-2009, 08:36 PM

Are Any Human Painkillers Safe on Dogs?

I thought I'd ask the above question as I'm simply up for trying anything to help with Benson's terrible stiffness.

Some people have told me that Ibuprofen can kill a dog, whereas they can take Aspirin.

Does anybody know the facts?

Thanks
EBMEDIC
Dogsey Junior
Male 

06-04-2009, 08:39 PM
The above statements are correct except that aspirin is only relatively safer.

Vet prescribed drugs are safer for a better risk profile.

I advise professional advice
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2009, 09:02 PM
Hi,

I know that some people will give their dogs paracetamol or nurofen without any adverse effects but from a personal point of view, I'd rather spend the extra money and get something specifically for stiffness in dogs.

If my vet tells me that an OTC product that I can get for people is just as effective and safe, I my consider buying this product instead - but NEVER without the advice from my vet.

Laura xx
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2009, 09:16 PM
Have you tried cod liver oil for his stiffness?

Have you tried hollistic remedies like meadowsweet which is an anti-inflamatory. In its natural form, I can't see it being a problem. You would need to read up on this though as I don't know if it is ok or not. I have had a work coleague use it on their horse and they have been fine.
Hammer
Dogsey Senior
Male 

06-04-2009, 09:26 PM
Hi,

Maybe I should have said that I'm following on from another thread.

The vet and I have tried all sorts of treatments on Benson, drug wise. We're now on steroids. He also takes all the usual suppliments, including the mega expensive Sinoquin and cod liver oil.

I was just wondering if there was something else I could pump into him that would help him
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2009, 09:33 PM
Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
Hi,

Maybe I should have said that I'm following on from another thread.

The vet and I have tried all sorts of treatments on Benson, drug wise. We're now on steroids. He also takes all the usual suppliments, including the mega expensive Sinoquin and cod liver oil.

I was just wondering if there was something else I could pump into him that would help him
Fair enough, sorry, I hadn't seen that thread.

Really have a look into hollistic remedies. I have a condition called irratable hip, where the fluid in my hip joint thickens and is extremely painful. I have been prescribed many pain killers, and anti-inflamatories but the only thing that has worked is herbal remedies. (Meadowsweet).

Have you seen those magnet collar things? They are meant to be great.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2009, 08:21 AM
I would try Rhus Tox and Arnica pillules. You can get them from Boots for about £5.00 each and they are perfectly safe for dogs with no side effects. I used them on my dog when he had tendonitis and found them really helpful. The best thing we did though was take him for acupuncture. My vet did it and charged around £45.00, which left him totally pain free for about six weeks. It works better for some dogs than others but is certainly work a try.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2009, 08:25 AM
I've used paracetemol and co-codamol (apologies for spelling!) on my dogs but only after my vet told me I could. If you want a herbal anti-inflammatory and pain relief then try liquid devils claw. That is very good. Also acupuncture can have pretty amazing results.
Becky
melsgems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2009, 08:59 AM
I was advised by my vet to get Glucosamine from Boots for Zak as we had been paying for Sinoquin for over a year. He said its exactly the same content for much less cost. We get him 2 x 500 mg a day he is 47kg. Much much cheaper. Also been advised uncoated Aspirin is safe but never used it yet.